• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed speedo gear bad leak?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Well I swapped out my speedo gear yesterday and everything is fine. Well I get back from driving from my house (70 mph for 20 miles) and I see fluid dripping off my rear diff. Then I notice its everywhere, but its reddish (tranny fluid) so I look and I see a wet spot on the t-case, but have no idea how this much could escape? It has to do with me replacing the speedo gear. I looked at my axle fluid and its a golden color, but did see 4 bolts on my diff cover were real loose.

Do you notice anything strange to cause a leak like this?

TCASE.jpg

REAR.jpg

What baseballneal86 said.

I fixed it once by applying a small amount of RTV around the sealing surface. The next time I knew I was going to pull it, I just picked up a new o-ring from the dealer for a couple of bucks.

baseballneal86 said:
Make sure the big O-ring is still on the speedo gear and that it's not damaged.

Thats it its broken, Anyone know the part #?

I am gonna try torun to the dealership, but they will never find it if I can't get a part #.

aNYONE PART #?

If not will RTV really work okay?

Yeah the same thing happened to me. I noticed the transfer case leaking around the speedo gear housing and thought maybe I tore the o-ring. The dealer had it for about 3 bucks. When I pulled the gear housing to I found that there wasn't even a o-ring on there. Guess maybe I was drunk when I changed the gear cause I don't know why I would just leave the o-ring off. Holy crap as I am sitting here wrting this I just thought of it. I put a new gear on when I added bigger tires, but a couple months later when I had gears itstalled the guy at the shop said that he put a new speedo gear in that wasn't correct but it was closer than the one I had. I bet they left it out though. Now I don't feel like such an idiot.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
Yeah the same thing happened to me. I noticed the transfer case leaking around the speedo gear housing and thought maybe I tore the o-ring. The dealer had it for about 3 bucks. When I pulled the gear housing to I found that there wasn't even a o-ring on there. Guess maybe I was drunk when I changed the gear cause I don't know why I would just leave the o-ring off. Holy crap as I am sitting here wrting this I just thought of it. I put a new gear on when I added bigger tires, but a couple months later when I had gears itstalled the guy at the shop said that he put a new speedo gear in that wasn't correct but it was closer than the one I had. I bet they left it out though. Now I don't feel like such an idiot.

Got it replaced, but my leak was baad I mean th entire case, ds, axles, gas tank dripping in ATF.

Back