• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle mounts/brackets

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
Building HP D44 for my '88 XJ. I've found tons of good data/info and insight in this Forum regarding my build.
But as always, there are always more questions than answers. I've searched extensively regarding axle mounts for the track bar and for spring pad fab & install.
Regarding the track bar, it's obvious (1) the bar needs to be attached in front of the axle tube (no problem), but can't go in front of the coil spring, due to clearance issues with steering (I'm doing cross-over steering). So, as the many pictures I've scrutinized indicate, the new track bar location will in-board of the spring, resulting in a track bar ~1.5 inches shorter than stock.
Will this cause noticeable bump steer? If yes, is there a solution, or "just live with it"? (my Jeep is a daily driver).
(2) with regard to the coil spring mount pads, Ive found a couple of threads indicating the pads should be aligned with the caster angle; i.e., tilted to the rear 5 to 7 degrees.
One thread stated 7* is the angle of the frame-end seat, and that the spring pads on the axle should be the same.
Since my springs are currently installed, I can't verify this.
I did measure my D30 pads, and found the driver's side
to be at 2* and the passenger side to be at 4*--caster is at 6*. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
For anyone contemplating installing LCA drop brackets who already has, let's say a 5+ inch lift AND the longer control arms associated with there lift, the arms will be too long! The drop brackets turn a 6 inch lift into an effective 3 inch lift, as far as control arm lengths are concerned. Your wheels will be farther forward, and may contact fenders and/or brackets when stuffed; just my experience.

Back