• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting problem.... jeep stranded help!

hello,

I have a 93 xj with 90k mi AW4 and a 241

the problem: when i turn the key to the start positon i hear the fuel pump whirr and relays click, however i get a no start, no run condition. and if i jump the connections on the soinoid with a switch the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel. All of the fuses are good except the one thats not in the fuse box, i havent checked that yet. I notice nothing else diffrent about my jeep.

i have replaced the solnoid on the jeep now and the condition is exactly the same. im thinkin it might be the starter, fusible link CPS or NSS
i dont think its the CPS because the times it ran... it ran perfectly.

sorry bout the long post but any ideas???

93GRNXJ said:
hello,
sorry bout the long post but any ideas???
Hmm, sounds like a starter problem. I would take it to any autoparts store to test it out. The replacement should be fairly easy...

throw it in neutral or wiggle the shifter and see if it starts. when i first got mine it did that sometimes and i thought it was the starter, so i got a new one and the same thing happened. i then found naxja and pulled my NSS off and cleaned it up and no more start problems.

There are two things that can keep the starter from engaging. A bad starter or a battery so low that it doesn't accellerate the starter sufficiently to cause the Bendix to engage the ring gear. Check the voltage while the starter is turning. It should be at least 10V. You can pull both the starter and the battery and hoof it over to Autozone. They will check both for you.

I'm betting on a bad/shorted cell battery on this one......

Have you tried a jump start?

I had the starter switch go out twice on my 95 country. Turn the key forward, everything worked. Turn the key to the start position, and nothing. Turns out my Vesco alarm system with remote start was shorting out the switch and finally fried the alarm system. New Code Alarm, new switch and its been all right ever since.

I am not sure what to call it, but I had to tear the steering column apart, and where the wires come up the column to the key, that had shorted out. The only way I could get home was to hold the key in almost to the start position, just off run. That worked for the 30 miles to get home. This jeep was bone stock but the alarm was installed befor I bought it. Some hack must of put it in.

ok tried some trouble shootin again... i got it to start by applying power to the small post on the solinoid (spelling is wrong sorry) and it starts....

i think its between the starter relay and the solinoid because i hear the relay click when i move the key to the starter position.

guess i found the problem.

If you think it is the starter then put the key to the on/run position, then go underneath the truck and with a long screwdriver touch the positive and neg lugs together and that will bypass the nss and give power to the starter. I had a bad nss and that was the only way I was able to keep moving. It might scare you the first time when the starter turns over but its cheaper than swapping it out to find its not the problem

krelja said:
If you think it is the starter then put the key to the on/run position, then go underneath the truck and with a long screwdriver touch the positive and neg lugs together and that will bypass the nss and give power to the starter. I had a bad nss and that was the only way I was able to keep moving. It might scare you the first time when the starter turns over but its cheaper than swapping it out to find its not the problem

I have to start mine that way. I turn the key to the start run position and nothing, no cranking but all power comes on. I have to go under and jump the solonoid with a long screwdriver and it fires right up. Is it an NSS issue? I may try that next, I tried a starter relay and that wasn't it. So I will try to pull the NSS, clean it and see if that helps.

Last edited:
no i dont think its the NSS on mine because i can hear the starter relay "click" when i push the key to the start postion... and i cant hear it without the relay.

I belive in my case it is faulty wiring between the relay and soliniod. I havent fixed it yet, but this is where i have figured the problem to be.

according to my reading of the wiring diagrams, the relay wont get any power if the NSS is faulty. (im almost 100% sure.... correct me if im wrong guys)

so if your relay clicks i think your NSS is still good... try starting in Nutrual, or jiggling the shifter around if you belive your nss is bad this may work.

Back