• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

explorer disk brakes on a D44??

Get the rotors and calipers, make a braket and bolt them on. Simple as that. I am not sure if anyone makes a kit if that is what you are looking for.

VegasAnthony said:
Is there a way to do this??
I looked at my crown vic setup and looked at some explorer calipers later and it looks like those two could potentially interchange (as in crown vic plate and exploder calipers)

Kejtar said:
I looked at my crown vic setup and looked at some explorer calipers later and it looks like those two could potentially interchange (as in crown vic plate and exploder calipers)

Potentially?

The answer is YES. Remi you do have Explorer brakes on a Crown Vic plate.

Did you forget I drove you to the Auto Zone to get EXPLORER BRAKE CALIPERS and I watched you put them on?

cracker said:
Potentially?

The answer is YES. Remi you do have Explorer brakes on a Crown Vic plate.

Did you forget I drove you to the Auto Zone to get EXPLORER BRAKE CALIPERS and I watched you put them on?
You drove me to get brake pads and my calipers look like explorer ones but what I'm thinking is that they potentially might center differently around the disk depending on the bracket and everything else. Till I have two calipers side by side to compare I'll stay away from a definate yes or definate no.

Kejtar said:
You drove me to get brake pads and my calipers look like explorer ones but what I'm thinking is that they potentially might center differently around the disk depending on the bracket and everything else. Till I have two calipers side by side to compare I'll stay away from a definate yes or definate no.

My Bad,

Explorer Brake pads. Not calipers.

I will bring my spare calipers on Sat and we'll do the comparison.

explorer/CV/TC/ZJ calipers all interchange, as well as the drum brake hardware. however the pistons on ZJ and explorer are smaller than the CV/TC

the brackets for an explorer have a substantially larger opening than the d44/CV/ZJ/TC-the pattern is the same as a big bearing ford i.e. 9"

Sounds good ..
The reason I ask is that, theres only one SUV/Truck salvage yard in my town that will let you pull anything . They (JEEPS) get ravaged immediatly, so if a cherokee or ZJ comes in it a matter of days before the thing gets gutted. Not to mention that the yard has strted removing the whole drive train themselves.. Ther rest of the SUV /Truck junker yards here make you buy the entire assembly ie the whole axle assembly. Now car pick and pull yards are a plenty..

I was unaware that the CV had a bigger piston though ..so thats the route for me:)

So are you all fabbing up your own caliper brackets?, and what are you using to take up the space left when you remove the stock brake backing plates?

bigwhitey said:
Caliper brakets? Un-bolt the baking plates with the brackets built in from the 8.8. and buy some rubi seal retainers for 3 bucks from the dealer.

So the explorer backing plates bolt right up on the XJ 44? (Just want to be certain)

David Tucker said:
So the explorer backing plates bolt right up on the XJ 44? (Just want to be certain)
Don't know about the explorer backing plates, but the crown vic plates bolt up, and tomorrow (if cracker graces my driveway with a presence of a spare caliper :D) I will find out if the calipers interchange.

Kejtar said:
Don't know about the explorer backing plates, but the crown vic plates bolt up, and tomorrow (if cracker graces my driveway with a presence of a spare caliper :D) I will find out if the calipers interchange.

So the Crown Vic plates bolt up, and do you have to use it in conjuction with a Rubi seal retainer to take the place of the stock drum backing plate? I will keep tabs on how your caliper project pans out.

David Tucker said:
So the Crown Vic plates bolt up, and do you have to use it in conjuction with a Rubi seal retainer to take the place of the stock drum backing plate? I will keep tabs on how your caliper project pans out.
Yup, you use a rubi seal retainer: I opened mine up so that I can slide them over an axle shaft without having to repress the bearings.
Btw, my caliper project is semi done: I got the crown vics and I think they're working out good, although I'm still trying to figure out how to test their effectiveness.
The caliper comparison tomorrow is going to be done more as a matter of curiousity then anything else.

Just found out/confirmed: crown vic calipers are same as explorer and the crown vic backing plate fits straight onto the 44 flange without having to make any holes oblong (you do have to open up the center hole a bit though)

Kejtar said:
Just found out/confirmed: crown vic calipers are same as explorer and the crown vic backing plate fits straight onto the 44 flange without having to make any holes oblong (you do have to open up the center hole a bit though)

So where the hell are all the pics? You had better do a good write up on this!

Back