• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'00 xj steering box in '93 = hard steering

BradJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently put a 2000 xj steering box w/20k miles into my '93 w/165k miles. Steering effort has increased noticably since this. No leaks and hoses are good. The old fluid was dark brown and is still light brown after putting 3 qts through the system. Loosening the allen adjustment screw made no difference.

Do the '97 and up steering pumps put out more pressure? Or is my pump possibly shot? If I remember right, the newer pump won't work with the old intake, right?

I'm getting ready for a road trip next month and need to make the xj a friendlier for the girlfriend to drive. TIA. Hopefully someone's tried this...

Brad
'93 xj / 31's / auto / 4.0

Brad,

Some where around 97 Jeep made the steering gear have more feel to it. Meaning it will feel harder to turn than the one in your 93. My 92 turns much easier than my 98.

mark
orgs mfg

At least a few of us have done this. I just replaced the box in my '92 with a unit out of a '99 and the steering now is WAY heavier. It takes too much effort for my liking, as it feels almost like nonpower-assist steering. Also, I changed out the pump last year with an OEM unit, so it's not that old.

Tom

yeah drove an early '97 and it's MUCH different than my '99...I like the firmer steering personally....

Thanks

I was afraid it was something like that. I couldn't find any worthwhile pre'95 boxes so I went with the 2000. It wouldn't be that bad, but I have a 14" steering wheel which amplifies the problem.

Could I have the pump rebuilt to a higher pressure, or would this kill the box? Thanks for the quick replies.

Brad

Mark Hinkley said:
A higher output pump will not make much difference.

mark
orgs mfg

Correct. The difference is not in the pump, it's in the spool valve in the steering box. That is not adjustable, but it is replaceable. However, I don't think you want to get into that. It would be a pricey part, and would then require a tear-down of the box. Better to look for an earlier box if that's what you want.

Personally, I think the early ones had way too much boost and no road feel. I greatly prefer the stiffer steering in the 2000.

Gracias

I don't mind it much. I'll tell the girlfriend to get buff :)

I'll keep the old box to rebuild; in case I change my mind.

Thanks again!

Brad

a steering box out of a 1988 chevy blazer is bolt in and the sterring wasn`t heavy

Back