• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto trans cooling lines.

NZjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 1999 jeep cherokee and wish to replace both oil lines from the auto to the radiator with hose.I have managed to fit brass connectors on the radiator and brass tails wher the hose is clamped on ; but the other end is the problem.Can I remove the 2 bolts on the auto without any fittings falling into inside of the gearbox.If I can then this connection to the new hose can be done with a few brass connections and brass tails.

Last edited:
Should be fine - if something does fall out, it will fall right into the pan...

I'm working on "replacement" fittings for those - adapting them to a -6 flare fitting (so you can use standard lines.) The prototype cycle got pushed back due to recent events, so I'm hoping to release them in time for 2Q2006...

5-90

NZjeep, why would you want to replace the hard lines with soft hose? The steel tubing is much more durable, and the neoprene flex hose at the radiator end is easy to replace.....

I've seen both hard lines available at parts stores for under $50 US. This includes all fittings and the soft hoses.

ROE

I'm wanting to replace the entire line because it has to many joins for my liking and I have punctured the steel auto lines with the front suspension arm causing great discomfort in the middle of the Mamaku forest.I have just replaced both bump stops on the front and this may have been the cause of the breakage as the suspension arm would have traveled to far up.I am rerouting the lines above the engine mounts right away from any suspensin so this cannot happen again.It has been simple from the radiator end ,I am just concerned if I remove the bolts from the auto that hold the trans fluid lines.Somebody above has said nothing to worry about and if something does fall down it will land in the auto sump; this I dont want to happen especially if it is a oil pick up line or something.
Thanks for your reply
From New Zealand.

OK thanks for explaining, NZ. I didn't realize you were relocating them. Good luck.

As I recall (from tearing apart a couple AW4's to learn...)

The sump pickup is the filter - the filter is the sump pickup. This is usually the case, so if you lose anything, it won't be the pickup.

The cooler line fittings are the LAST element in the hydraulic circuit for the AW4 - it's "residual pressure" only (you're flowing more because flow volume has to go SOMEWHERE!) and there's not enough pressure to worry about.

The "outlet" fitting is an open hole from the valve body exhuast - the fitting just threads into the end of the hold.

The "inlet" fitting is an open hole into the sump - with nothing else, but the case, for it to contact.

The upshot? There should be no issue with removing the cooler line fittings - I've done it with and without the transmission installed, assembled, or otherwise being used. I'm not 100% certain about the later models of the AW4 (I work mainly on RENIX - 1987-1990,) but I don't see a lot of reason for the transmission to have changed overmuch internally over the years, so I'm fairly sure you're safe. I just don't have enough experience to "delete the qualifiers," which is why I feel like you'll be all right, but I'm not in a position to say so with authority (and have you get cross with me when I turn out to be wrong, Heaven forbid!)

5-90

I am not really sure what the prob here is. If you guys are talking about the lines that get removed when one swaps trannys, then there should be no problems. I have swapped trannys on my xj twice and on both tranny side lines i removed the lines without anything happeneing.

Maybe i am lost or something.

pete

Thanks for all your help guys; I think I may have to remove the sump and just have a good old look for myself.
Cheers from New Zealand.

Have removed the 2 bolts on the auto which connect the oil lines to the radiator and no problems ,. thanks for everybodys help.
NZ Jeep.

Back