• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring a '97 Grand Cherokee OHC to a '90 Cherokee

brendon800

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone.
I bought an OHC(Overhead Console) from someone on eBay, it came out of a '97 Grand Cherokee. I got the lights to work, it's fitted fine and all, but I was wondering if there was a way to wire the display. My 1990 Cherokee never had an OHC, so the plug is way different than what the '97GC plug is. Is there a way to get it to read the temp/compass? I don't think I have the thermometer, and as far as the compass goes...I have NO idea. Anyway, it looks REALLY good, and I'm hoping I can get that display to work. Any suggestions?
Thanks everyone!

-Mike-

Do a search you will find some great info on this here. You will not be able to get more than the temp/compass readings once you figure out the wiring.

I would love to read someone was able to get more than these readings going for an older XJ install.

I must be searching for the wrong words, I haven't seen anything about doing this to a Jeep that had no overhead console, or going from '98-'90 Grand Cherokee to Cherokee. I'd be pleased as all get outs just to have the temp/compass.

Thats because it won't work the ZJ's overhead console uses a compleatly different computer than the XJ it's gets its info on the data buss not seprate wires like the XJ. The only thing you'll get to work is the compass.

That's the question though...How do I get the compass/temp to work? Unfortunately this OHC didn't come with the wiring harness, so I have to work behind the plug. Can I just put power to it and get the compass, then hook up the temp sensor, and get the temp?

brendon800 said:
That's the question though...How do I get the compass/temp to work? Unfortunately this OHC didn't come with the wiring harness, so I have to work behind the plug. Can I just put power to it and get the compass, then hook up the temp sensor, and get the temp?

From what I've read you will not be able to get the temp to work at all. The later ZJ consoles got the ambient air temperature from the computer not a temp sensor. I would recommend if you like the ZJ consoles to get one from a 93-95 ZJ which used the temp sensor like the XJ does, then you will have both compass and temp. If you keep the 97's you will get compass when you get power to the display but you'll never get the temp to read anything except blank or SC or something along those lines. I have a question for you too since I've thought about doing this swap, how are you mounting it to the ceiling, did the brackets for the ZJ one bolt right up to the XJ bracket holes?

I'll be tearing it down soon to work with the wires for the compass and stuff, I'll take some pictures of how my brother and I fabricated the mounting of the console, and post them.

brendon800 said:
I'll be tearing it down soon to work with the wires for the compass and stuff, I'll take some pictures of how my brother and I fabricated the mounting of the console, and post them.

Awesome thanks.

I'm missing the pigtail for the red plug on the overhead console that goes to the temp/compass display, it has six pins, does anyone happen to have a picture of the pigtail plugged into that, so I can figure out which pin is what color wire? I need to know which pin is for the black w/green stripe(ground), and which pin is the tan(or light brown I guess) wire(switched live). Evidently, these control the compass. I don't have a temp sensor on my Jeep, so I won't be able to wire that yet, but it would be nice to run the wires for that as well. I think those are black/blue(sensor ground), purple/green(sensor feed). I got this info from Ilovejeeps.com, and many thanks to those guys as well, it's almost looking like I can get this working!

CollinM hit the nail right on the head.
You'll only be able to get the compass readout to work since the 96+ ZJ console gets it's temp info from a body computer & not from a temp sensor like all XJ's and 93-95 Zj's do.
Once you get power to the display, the internal compass will automatically give you a readout.

It'll readout like this 96+ ZJ console mounted into an XJ.

xj_overhead_console_from_zj2s.jpg

brendon800 said:
I'm missing the pigtail for the red plug on the overhead console that goes to the temp/compass display, it has six pins, does anyone happen to have a picture of the pigtail plugged into that, so I can figure out which pin is what color wire?
Here's a list of the wire colors, I have a ZJ pigtail but I DO NOT have a diagram of what goes where. Using your pic & starting at the left top going across, #1 purple #2 black #3 yellow, green stripe. Now from the left bottom going across #4 yellow, #5 white, black stripe #6 pink.

If you need this connector I can clip it and mail it to you. 6 bucks shipped to your door.

brendon800 said:
I don't have a temp sensor on my Jeep, so I won't be able to wire that yet, but it would be nice to run the wires for that as well.
As stated earlier, you won't be able to wire the temp sensor period. The console gets the temp info from the body control module (ZJ computer).

JEEPZZ said:
Here's a list of the wire colors, I have a ZJ pigtail but I DO NOT have a diagram of what goes where. Using your pic & starting at the left top going across, #1 purple #2 black #3 yellow, green stripe. Now from the left bottom going across #4 yellow, #5 white, black stripe #6 pink.

If you need this connector I can clip it and mail it to you. 6 bucks shipped to your door.

As stated earlier, you won't be able to wire the temp sensor period. The console gets the temp info from the body control module (ZJ computer).

I'll take it, PM me with the info? You take Paypal?
-Mike-

Anyone know if a '93-'95 DISPLAY unit would fit in my '97 OHC? If so, anyone have one for sale? I think it'd be MUCH cheaper, and a lot easier for me to just replace the display rather than the whole console. Thanks again guys.

-Mike-

Don't mean to hi-jack but for the console for 87-90 XJ's will the temp sensor from any type of vehicle work or will just a Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler/Jeep one work?

Zoro said:
brendon800-Are you goingto completely remove your headliner or are you going to just cut holes in it?

The OHC has been in and the lights working for a while now, I just got around to trying to get the display to work. I just cut a slice in the headliner for the end of the OHC to slide into. I then made a bracket to screw into the center cross-member, and screwed in the front part of the OHC with sheet-metal screws. I'm trying to get some pictures taken here, I'll post them later.

-Mike-

Zoro said:
Don't mean to hi-jack but for the console for 87-90 XJ's will the temp sensor from any type of vehicle work or will just a Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler/Jeep one work?

I guess it would depend on how the display gets its info. My '97 OHC pulls the temp from the computer, which mine isn't set up for, while the '93-'95 pulls the temp info from a thermometer, which is behind the front bumper of Cherokees. This is info I found from another site.

-Mike-

Back