• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Try to start and nothing

rokjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am having issues with my starter. Its a 98' 4.0L. I got the jeep about 6 months ago and when I got it the owner told me he sometimes had to jump the starter to get it to fire. He said he's replaced the starter before and it still does it. I put in the key and get all the lights gauges etc to work, go to turn it over and nothing. I have to go down and jump the solonoid on the starter with a screwdriver. When I do that it fires right up and stays running just fine. It will start every once in a while. I don't want to spend the cash on a starter if I don't have to. I'm thinking its possibly a bad ground on the motor or a bad power wire to the starter. I am going to try a new starter relay today. Any other idea's?

Oh and to make things even better, today the jeep won't idle it just dies. The battery died the other day and I had to jump it. I guess the battery is still bad. I searched on here and found that if the battery doesn't have enough juice that it will screw with the computer and it will not let it idle. I will be getting a new battery tomorrow. If that doesn't fix it then I'll try a TPS first then I guess a CPS next. Hopefully the battery will fix that issue.

Check your battery terminals and the other ground terminals. Sure sounds like a battery either gone or on the way out. Without a full battery charge the starter and ECU will both act crappy.

chris

Another thing to check is the Neutral safety switch, mounted on the tranny. (if it is an automatic) If you replace your battery, and this issue continues, (can crank it fine by jumpering the starter) then I would think the switch is the culprit. The neutral safety switch basically delivers ground to the starter relay. You can also bypass this switch by delivering Gnd to the relay, but this will let it start in gear. Good luck

Last edited:
Check your grounds and all the connections on the starter. Possible ignition switch.

I got a new starter relay and still the same thing. I have been very busy and have not gotten time to do anything else but I am thinking the ignition switch. The stealership said about $50 for one, I think I'm going to try that route next. The key has been recut countless times and sticks alot of the time. I have to jiggle the key to get it to turn alot of the time. Sometimes it will start, sometimes it won't kinda starting to piss me off.

Back