• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 4.5 and Monotubes - rides harsh

00XJFAN

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with RE 4.5 lift and RE Monotubes. Anyone have experience with this setup and comments on the ride quality. Mine seems very harsh over expansion joints and small road irregularities. It's been on for about 6 months now. Has yours improved any over time?

Last edited:
Mine are too and cause the Jeep to be a bit bouncy when coasting under 30mph. I hoped its just cause I've only been lifted for a month or two, but I don't know. They are nice offroad though.

The rought ride I think may be also because we have the RE 4.5" and short arms, which I am still sitting at 5.5"-6" of lift.

If you're running the RE lift with short arms and no drop brackets, my opinion is that no amount of shock is going to improve your ride. The arm has to move forward and upward in an arc when you hit a bump and that's the harshness you're feeling. If the arms were closer to level, you would love the ride.

I'm at 6.5 inches, drop brackets, all RE components and their monotube shocks...it rides great with 40 psi in the tires. Previously, with short arms only, the ride was hellish.

John90XJ said:
If you're running the RE lift with short arms and no drop brackets, my opinion is that no amount of shock is going to improve your ride. The arm has to move forward and upward in an arc when you hit a bump and that's the harshness you're feeling. If the arms were closer to level, you would love the ride.

I'm at 6.5 inches, drop brackets, all RE components and their monotube shocks...it rides great with 40 psi in the tires. Previously, with short arms only, the ride was hellish.

I'd love the ride, but not the clearance...I decided its worht the sub-par ride.

ZachMan said:
I'd love the ride, but not the clearance...I decided its worht the sub-par ride.

I banged all over at 4 inches, but when I went to about 6.5 inches I never seem to hit the brackets anymore. YMMV.

Back