• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 teardown question

baseballneal86

NAXJA Forum User
Well I've got my 242 completely toredown to the point where I'm ready to remove the range forks. From what I've read I need a #1 screw extractor to remove the tapered roll pin. Is this a common tool or one that I can pick up somewhere pretty easily?

Also for those that are tearing down the 242 or even the 231 for that matter, I cannot stress enough how much easier it is to do with a good pair of LOCK-RING pliers. NOT snap-ring pliers.

Yes, the screw extractors are easy to find, but I could not get mine out. Messing with that was the worst part of the whole thing for me. I finally decided the pads looked OK and stopped trying. I hope you have better luck.

Well my pads are completely gone on both range forks so it's pretty important for me to get the whole case apart. Would a local auto parts store have the screw extractor?

Auto parts store or a hardware store. I know Sears has them. Do yourself a favor and don't buy cheap assed ones.

Back