• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap solution? (leaf sag)

T&A-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Search impared so I'll ask...

RE 4.5" passenger side leaf is finally sagging about 1.5" and possibly has less spring rate. I could buy another new RE leaf pack and be done with it but not for that much money. I am thinking of an AAL(junk yard find) or a full perch length block(will make myself) I would rather go the AAL route to help stiffen the pack back up and to not change the leaf geometry from side to side. Have any suggestions on what vehicle and which leaf to use? This fix will get me by untill I either dump this POS or 4-link it.

Budget is $30 and 2.5 hours install/build time.

Thanks for your time:shiver:

I would start with switching the leaf packs and see if they even out. Having 2 different packs or only having a block on one side is gonna be opening a whole new can o' worms.

Also, switching the leaf packs fits well within your budget and time constraints :)

I would not just add in one leaf or even go with blocks at all. Just causes more problems. Switch them first and see what happens. If the problem follows the leafs then you know for sure whats going on. If you want to add AAL then go with a 80-90's dodge dakota leaf pack (2x4 or 4x4). Good luck Jeff

T&A-XJ said:
Search impared so I'll ask...

RE 4.5" passenger side leaf is finally sagging about 1.5" and possibly has less spring rate.

Thanks for your time:shiver:

Are you saying that the pass side is sagging 1.5" more than the drivers side?

I agree with switching sides and seeing what happens. I also think you should inspect each leaf and make sure nothing is broken or cracked. There is nothing wrong with adding extra leaves to one side that needs extra support but try to use longer thinner leaves to support the whole pack. I would still pull them all and switch sides while you add the leaves to the pack to see what happens.

Do not add blocks to one side.

Michael

Didnt think the block was a good option but had read about it being done and that person being happy with it. Thought I'd throw it out there afterall it would be cheapest and easiest for me.

Reading Goatmans post here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23381&highlight=leaf+tuning
I was thinking add a leaf to help stiffen the pack and also help with torque wrap.

I might swap the packs and see how it leans afterwards. Just was thinking the above being the best route.

Another idea if swapping the packs doesnt help was pulling both packs apart and mismatching leafs to get an equal or slightly higher pass side(to equal out with the TQ loading)

I will look into the Dakota leafs, a trip to the PAP might be in order:loveu:

Thanks

Well I swapped leafs and now it sags to the drivers side but at least it drives better. No more squating on accel. The front half of the leaf has no arc to it now so there is no point in trying to revive it with an AAL. And at $250 a pack forget it, 4-link will be sooner than anticipated.

T&A-XJ said:
Well I swapped leafs and now it sags to the drivers side but at least it drives better. No more squating on accel. The front half of the leaf has no arc to it now so there is no point in trying to revive it with an AAL. And at $250 a pack forget it, 4-link will be sooner than anticipated.

Take lots of pictures Tim. :)

Friend of mine in Leavenworth is pondering a 4 link in the back of his rig... (Doug's old XJMJ)... don't think he realizes the can of worms he's opening.

T&A-XJ said:

Still no reason you can not add a leaf or two to the low side to help even it out and provide some support till the 4 link is ready.

Michael

I know you can get a better deal than $250 each. Hell Rock Krawler leaf packs are $250/pair! I think their 4-link is like $1200 but I know you can make it for way less!

I could AAL it but for now it drives acceptable... i might change my mind tomorrow though.

I've got all the geometry figured out just need to build.

Ill explain what i did...
I took off both leaf packs.. put a red line of spray paint on the drivers.. so i could distinguish the springs.. took them off and took out the center pin...

noticeably the passenger side had some spring wrap.. i replaced the bottom three leafs with some i got from a yj leaf pack... then i swapped the RE leafs..
EX Pass main leaf, drivers second leaf, pass 3rd leaf, drivers 4th ETC then i switched the mains side to side...

leveled it out well... .. i also added full lenth liners in between the leafs.. helped reduce friction

Back