• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

poly spring liner source

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
Anyone have an on-line source for 2 1/2" poly leaf spring liner, the type with a lip on both sides.
I can find 2 1/4" but none wider. Local spring shop does not have it either.
Thanks

I've never heard of those before. Do they make much of a difference? Do springs flex better or does it just keep sound down? Does it add any noticable amount of lift?

mjma said:
I've never heard of those before. Do they make much of a difference? Do springs flex better or does it just keep sound down? Does it add any noticable amount of lift?

Yes, the springs ride better and flex easier because the liners cut down on friction between the leaves. This is a good thing to do if you make your own springs out of used leaves.

Goatman said:
Yes, the springs ride better and flex easier because the liners cut down on friction between the leaves. This is a good thing to do if you make your own springs out of used leaves.

I'm having zero luck finding the liners in 2 ½"' with lips. 2 ¼" is widely available but for some reason, the wider stuff seems to be non-existent.Deaver Spring does not have it; Mc Master-Carr has uhmw plastic in many variations but none in this shape.
On the last set of XJ springs I built, I used uhmw strips with an adhesive backing from Woodcraft Supply.
See
[url="http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=902"]http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=902[/url]
I had two rolls left over from a construction project and decided to try it as an experiment.
It worked OK for a while but is not reusable and the adhesive eventually released and started to spit the strips out. It did do a nice job of smoothing the ride and keeping things quiet.
I think the lip type would be a better way to go ...if I can find it. Building your own spring packs is a great way to learn about how small changes can effect the balance and handling. It can also be a lot cheaper than buying pre-built packs.
For the time being, I will go ahead and grease the leaves.

Back