• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why is the suspension designed thsi way?

BSD

NAXJA Forum User
I have been curious about a standard design feature on the XJ, and other vehicles for that matter. I notice that the shackles and mount for the shocks sit below the axle. For the sake of ground clearence, could they not be moved above teh axle? Granted, you would only gain a couple of inches. Furthermore, you would still have the lower half of the pumpkin in the way. Would moving them above significantly affect teh ride? Not a mod I am contemplating, just wondering.
BSD

its because of the length of shock needed.if it was moved above the axle you would have to give up something.either up travel or down travel.

Ummm, IIRC...

It has to do with how the shocks help control axle wrap.

That is why they are placed one in front of the axle and behind. They are put below the axle to provide more control/leverage.

Yes, you can move them up to centerline on the axle. Yes, you will lose some of your compression, IF you use your stock shocks.

Since we are all looking to lift our XJs, do the shock mount move when you lift your rig, and buy the appropriate shocks for the spacing that you have after the mount move. Or, just live with having more down travel than up travel.

Personally, I like bumpstops, and short up travel. Keeps tires off of the sheetmetal, and looks good when your axle drops way down.

My $.02, nothing more or less.

Erik

Back