• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Flex

elephantrider1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok right now I have 3inch rough country with rear aal and 2 inch front spacers 2inch rear shackles. I need to know how to make this thing flex I have no swaybars at all now and the rear still does not flex worth crap. What can I do. ALSO MY STOCK SPRINGS ARE ALMOST FLAT SO i WILL BE BUYING SOME NEW ONES.wILL THIS HELP IT FLEX. I want to FLEX

(caugh, caugh) 4link it. thats what i did when i bent my 'rockready' 6" leafs into a W. but if you're looking for flex with leafs, go with a RE spring pack. i've heard they're the softest.

elephantrider1 said:
Ok right now I have 3inch rough country with rear aal and 2 inch front spacers 2inch rear shackles. I need to know how to make this thing flex I have no swaybars at all now and the rear still does not flex worth crap. What can I do. ALSO MY STOCK SPRINGS ARE ALMOST FLAT SO i WILL BE BUYING SOME NEW ONES.wILL THIS HELP IT FLEX. I want to FLEX

New SPRING PaCks of some kind....AaLs are basically a stiff stock spring trying to flex.

Everyone has a different oppinion on the rustys vs. re endless debate, but yes, rustys are great springs. go for them, they flex good!

I would also try to get some rustys front springs, or RE, or Tera. I had a Rough Country lift once, and the springs just did not flex too much. Other companies make much nicer quality springs that are softer, ride nicer, and flex much better. I know for sure that you'll be happy with springs from Rusty, RE, or Tera because I've seen them all in action and all 3 of them work very well.

If you are patient and at all mechanically inclined build a bastard pack.

You can tune and adjust it to your hearts content. Combine it with a shackle, especially one with a couple of settings and you can come up with any spring rate and ride height you want within reason. If you want 2-1/2 inches go to the salvage yard and pull a pair of Dakota second leaves (the ones next to the mains) and add them to your stock XJ pack. If you want two inches just pull out the XJ second leaf when you add the new one.

I added Dakota second and fourth leaves to my stock XJ pack for 4 inches of lift and had no problem putting one side on the bump stops (extended 2 inches) with the other hanging down 5 inches below ride height for a total of about 12 inches of travel after installing longer shocks. Later when I added the SYE I went to just the second leaf and a 2 inch shackle lift. Great flexibility and lower rates than before.

If it ever wears out or sags I will just swap in some "new" leafs to tune it up.

At $37 for a pair of spring packs its pretty cheap and the pride of doing it yourself, or only yourself to blame depending how it works out.

John.

John, Thanks for the leaf tune-up specs. I have a 2" shackle with stock leafs (flat). Got allot of options now. Russ

Thats my flex i get out of the rusty springs...pretty good

k0seop.jpg

Right now I'm on RE 3.5 leafs in the back (measures 5" of lift) and Tera 3" (measure 3") coils up front.

I get enough flex that my worn 245/75 R16's (measure 30"s now) will rub pretty bad without extended bumpstops. I think that's quite a bit of flex...

mj leaves with the center pin holes redrilled and doubled shackles or new rear shackle mounts make for some good flex.

when you get new leaf springs go ahead and take off the rear swaybar. Just a few bolts and voila...more flex.

Want flex?
Lose the leafs.
ID1137199099.jpg

elephantrider1 said:
ok this is how i flex the rear swaybar is off and so is my rear tire off the ground that is. I dont like losing traction
k154qr.jpg

My Jeep flexes the same in the rear as your does and I have a front and rear RE stuff. The leaf packs im running are full packs at 4.5" lift. Maybe your shocks are to short. Try taking them off (dont drive with them off) and flexing on that car again and see if you get any more droop out of it and you will know that you do need longer shocks.

elephantrider1 said:
kid4lyf awsome love it that is what iI whant how hard is it to fab something like that up
You don't want to know :D

Seriously though, unless you have a lot of fabbing experience and still really want this I would go with some of the available kits.
I'm a big fan of Rock Krawler's stuff. They offer a rear 4 link using coilovers that is very nice.
Kinda pricy, but nice.
http://rockkrawler.com/

Keep in mind, when going this far the entry price is just that; entry.
I've spent almost as much time and money tweeking, tuning, and repairing as the actual building.

Back