• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Save a Renix, let's fix my Jeep!!!

MOOSE16285

NAXJA Forum User
For some of yall, this is getting old but I'm going to post once again. This is going to be as accurate as possible.

The problem...
jzwfft.jpg

In August 2005, I made a failed attempt at crossing a big pond.
Now, obviously, it's January 2006 and my XJ still rests in a dormant state.
Water got to the bottom window seal on the drivers side and to about the front door speaker on the passenger side(It was at an angle).
Server hydrolock in engine, diffs, tranny and t-case.
All fluids were dropped ASAP the next morning...
After a week or so, ALL fluids were replaced.
Since then, engine will not crank...
It will turn over with a strong battery and the new starter but will not produce a spark.

Whats new or tested to work fine and the symptoms...
New:
Coil, CPS, battery, spark plugs, plug wires, distrubtor car & rotor, air filter, fluids, relays, fuses, starter, ecu #2
Tested and passed:
ICM, alternator, original ecu, fuel pump
Symptoms:
With everything hooked up, like its suppose to be, and turn the key; the engine does indeed turn. Turns very very strong. Fuel pump does push fuel to the injectors. Everyone who's lended a hand with this agrees that, like my love life, my Jeep has no spark. The coil receives 12V with key on ACC by means of poking it with a volt meter.
Langer1 has had me run a few tests and one came up bad... The yellow wire on the ICM does not show 5V pulses when engine is turning over.

Umm...
It's not even 6AM here and I just got a brain fart... LOL, seriously... I Can't think anymore... I was having a great memory of the Jeep at the Kroger parking lot back in July... My buddy owns a Dodge Ram and I park beside him with my Jeep flexed up on his front tire. We had left with another friend to lunch and came back to the police, tow trucks, and people with cameras. I was getting a ticket for crashing into his truck. They didn't believe me or him when we told them I intentionally parked that way... It took my girl who worked there to tell the cops we always do cool shit like that...

Anyway, I think I touched on most everything as asked... So lets see if we can create a potential tornado with all the brain storming! Haha... MOOSE is gonna hit da sack! I'll get back on here in 3 or 4 hours...

I see CPS but I don't see that you've replaced the TPS which is very water sensitive and could very easily gotten soaked at the angle you tried diving at, not a missspelling. You might have had water get into a connection. Have everyone of them been pulled apart, dried and put back together? Hot items created vacuums inside themselves when they get cooled down fast. The connections near the engine could have pulled some water in and are shorting themselves.

So your not getting a pulse from the computer to fire the coil? I assume youve traced that wire and checked connections there?

Hand you tried a new coil. Or junkyard coil.

Indeed a new coil was purchased a few months back... TPS stands for what? And it's been a coule days off the Jeep cause the garage door came off track, got it back on yesterday now gotta balance it this morning and I'll get back to tracing wires...

MOOSE16285 said:
Indeed a new coil was purchased a few months back... TPS stands for what? And it's been a coule days off the Jeep cause the garage door came off track, got it back on yesterday now gotta balance it this morning and I'll get back to tracing wires...

Throttle Position Sensor. . .on the throttle body, has a plug on it. When replaced needs to be set. Easy to do, threads here that tell you how to do it. It's so water sensitive that washing the motor can screw it up.

MOOSE16285 said:
Well if it ain't moose again. You were emailing me for help and suddenly disappeared.
I emailed you the Official Renix manual. The TPS is very well covered in that manual.
There are drawings and how to test every component in the renix system.

Whats up Langer!!! Yea, I posted earlier the garage door came off tracks so I finally got to it yesterday and I need to balance it and play with the spring... Tighten it up or something... I'll get back to the Jeep once I got an easier path... Didn't feel like going through the front door everytime I needed something... I'll read up on the TPS in that manual! I printed it out... 100 pages and 1/2 the black ink later and I love it! There is ALOT in there! Thanks man...

MOOSE16285 said:
Whats up Langer!!! Yea, I posted earlier the garage door came off tracks so I finally got to it yesterday and I need to balance it and play with the spring... Tighten it up or something... I'll get back to the Jeep once I got an easier path... Didn't feel like going through the front door everytime I needed something... I'll read up on the TPS in that manual! I printed it out... 100 pages and 1/2 the black ink later and I love it! There is ALOT in there! Thanks man...
Your TPS could be bad but it won't keep you from having spark, do you have spark yet?

I had problems with my 1990 and we replaced everything we could think of. It runed out my injectors weren't being told to pulse.

I had great spark, great air, great power, and great fuel pressure at the fuel rail. The injectors just weren't doing anything with the fuel.

Make sure they are pulsing.

I’m sure that everyone’s damage will be different.
Here was what I did:

I pulled apart the engine and found water/sludge sitting inside of the cylinders.
Image7.jpg

* Removed and cleaned the oil pan.
* Removed the head.
* Removed and cleaned the cylinders and bearings.
* Cleaned and scored the cylinder walls after gauging.
* Installed new piston rings.
* No damage found to the rocker arms or rods.
* Removed, cleaned, and re-installed the valves.
* Removed, cleaned, and re-installed the throttle body and exhaust manifold.
* Replaced the O2 sensor.
* Replaced the CPS.
* Replaced the CAT
* Replaced the muffler.
* Cleaned the distributor
* Replaced the spark plugs.
* Replaced the Ignition control module and coil.
* Replaced the IAC valve.
* Installed new fuel injector o-rings.
* Replaced the starter.
* Replaced ALL fluids – and I mean ALL!
* Also installed new filters – trans, oil.
* Cleaned K&N air filter.
* Installed new s-belt
* Painted head and valve cover purple (my daughter picked the color)
* Replaced fan clutch.
* High pressure washed the engine – twice.

* and finally, installed this sucker:
snorkel.JPG

No spark yet still... Stories with having to replace all that stuff ruins any dreams... It'll be alot simplier and cheaper to drop a new engine... Cause I'm dropping an average of $50 - $100 on single item things... Coil, ICM, TPS, CPS, ECU, etc... I've spent near $700 already and still dont work... Iunno, $1200 for the Jeep, $250 for the 3" suspension, $300 on tires, about $1000 in freebies... So about $2000 total in it, spending half the value of the jeep on hardware that didn't fix it... What do you think a rolling chasis on an XJ would go for? Maybe it's time to just start over... Or just scrap the whole 4x4 idea in all... The garage door is really pissing me off and not having the right tools for the job cause punkass neighborhood kids think its cool to break in the garage and take all my tools... At twenty years old, I need to focus on work, school and keep playing rugby to release this anger... Not spending my money on this Jeep and getting premature gray hairs even though i've got a shaved head... Iunno guys... I really appreciate the help from everyone... I'd love to get it running again but with my friends all being idiots and only know how to roll blunts and crush beer cans, it's a pretty lonely job laying under a broken Jeep... So i'm putting the tools up for the day and going to play some football... I'm just really frustrated with the Jeep, the money, and life right now... Yall have a good one. - MOOSE

Haha, you found me out... This thats something, you oughtta see my Mazda... I know I got anger problems but they always seem to end sometime or another... I liked one quote but dont remember who said it... "The fury of my angry fists ends where his nose beigns"... I dont like fighting but I do get angry alot. Thats why I play full contact sports like rugby football and hell, I can show you the full contact side of soccer too! Anything with hitting another person and alot of running usually relax me... kinda like trail riding used to do... So i'ma go get some lunch 4 real now and go get my jollies off in some of our weekly "friendly" football game this afternoon... maybe it'll inspire me to dedicate more time to the jeep! lol...

IM going to throw my renix hat on and drink some french wine here...

What year renix is it? the pre 1989 i beleive boxes had a dreaded c-101 bulkhead connector. IT was prone to corrosion. Even without water damage, mine had alot of corrosion and very poor contact was made. Also, Chrysler rerouted the CPS to go directly into the ECU eliminating all of the bulkhead connections at the firewall. Enough resistance on that and even with a good CPS you can get your no spark. . .

Was the distributor removed? if so was it set properly back into place? ANother thing that can cause a renix no start
For some reason i am in a renix mood right now :)

Back