• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Tinting

G

Any of you guys know anyone that will tint windows for cheap in the Northern Virginia area?

David

You can do it yourself if you feel up to the task, but I wouldn't recommend it. Just make sure that if you get it done from a shop that they do it to meet the VA standards for light pass through cause my pops got a ticket on his mustang for that. Weird too cause my dad (now 60) has NEVER had a ticket in his life. Poor guy, he buys a used mustang and gets hit up with a ticket for the window tint it came with.
Peace
Skorpyo

Connecticut is like that. Front side (door) windows cannot be tinted (or not very much, anyway). I stopped at a tint place to get a price on doing my '88 XJ and the guy couldn't believe I DIDN'T want the front doors done. He had a hard time understanding that I wanted to do it legal, and then he had a hard time adjusting his pricing "package" to omit the front doors.

I don't know about NoVA, but here in the land of steady habits and wooden nutmegs it's difficult to NOT get the dope dealer special.

Yeah i understand the rules, it just my 95 sport has just the back side windows tinted and nothign else, it looks goofy. I atleast want the rear hatch glass tinted, my cousin said he woudl do it (he did his 3 RX-7's) but he heard the cherokee rear glass is double concave and hard to do?

I think the VA rules are 35% for the front, anything on the passenger sides (only for SUV's), and then 35% or 25% on the back.

David

Most rear windows are double concave, and they are difficult to do because the mylar film has zero stretch. To do the hatch you have to use narrow strips run across the window. Around here they locate and trim the laps to fall on the defroster grid wires so they are pretty much invisible. I don't know what they do if you don't have a defroster.

Replace the glass

A couple of years ago I was having a new windshield put in and priced the cost of replacing the glass with aftermarket tinted at Mesko on RT 46 in Fairfield NJ, cost was around $1000 installed and included the rear hatch w/defroster grid, both rear side windows, all 4 rear door windows, ~$1200 with the two front windows. This has the tint built into the glass not put on top. Also if I remember right it was avail in different tints too, black, green, bronze, smoke and a couple of other weird one's. All but the smoke and black were special order with 4-6 weeks delivery. Another alternative would be to find one in the boneyard and swap your glass out but thats alot of work if you don't know how to get it out of that channel they seat it in.

RichP

there are some decent places up annapolis way if you dont mind a little jaunt.
~John

David, Its not that hard to do it yourself. You just have to have alot of patience. The rear window is easily done in 1 piece. I have been tinting windows for about 7 years. Drop me a email if you have any ?s and I will try and walk you through if you want to try it yourself. Jason [email protected]

Rear window tinting

I believe that on early XJs the rear window is reeeal easy to pop out. That's how I tinted my rear window on my '91.
This 'feature' is also really handy when you lock your keys inside.

I know you are a ride away but I have the best Tint Guy in the USA he does cars for the movies and all the cars he does every window is one Piece he is the only one I have ever met that can do that He is in and out my shop I have him in twice a week but some times more. I f interested call the shop TRC offroad 201-832-2200 Good luck. You can also mail the windows if you want I have had several people do that before.

Damn, sounds good got any pics? price?

How far away are yall from philly?

Back