• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock drum brake pic request

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
I need a picture of a stock drum brake if anyone has a chance to do so. I recently did my drums--it was my first time with drums. I took both wheels off and used one side as a reference; everything was installed exactly the same as that which was removed. I now think that when I first bought the Jeep and had the rear brakes done, they put the adjusters on upside down and on the wrong sides (as well as possibly leaving off a spring on each side). The shop had been quite reputable at the time. One of the owners has since left because (according to three of the mechanics) his brother (the other owner) was cutting corners to the point of possibly incurring legal problems.
All that aside, I compared what is there to my FSMs and parts manuals (exploded drum-brake charts) and there definitely looks to be something wrong/missing. All of my manuals show a spring going from the adjuster lever to the forward shoe, but they don't give a part number for it. That is what is wrong (in addition to the adjuster levers being upside down and on opposite sides).
Any help is appreciated.

I will post pics I took of my D44 rebuild tonight. They are not loaded on my photobucket right now. I took pics so I would know exactly how it should look. The D44 is almost exactly as the D35, not sure for the 8.25. I don't think the design has changed in 100 years...

Hey,

Had most of my Brake System replaced '88 XJ Cherokee Laredo. I think D30/D35 axles.

The guy who did the job said in addition to the major components just pick up a "Drum Brake Kit" from any Auto Parts Store. It includes the springs and fittings you need.

Thx, Phil

DSC03073.jpg

DSC03070.jpg

Thank you so much, d10shun. Those are the clearest pics I've ever seen of Jeep drums. You have no idea how happy (and pissed) I am right now. Your pics confirm that I'm not completely nuts and that the shop really f&$(@^ them up two years ago. So many things are wrong that it's just plain scary that a shop with all certified mechanics could screw up so badly.

Again, thank you!

Tim

Hey guys, hate to bump an old thread, but I have drums that look nothing like these diagrams or pictures, and as such, nothing like the Haynes manual. I have a '96 with a 8.25" and the self adjuster lever had a slotted hole that goes over a pin in the secondary pad, and also a spring that goes over the pin and seems like it's suposed to hold the lever down. I also have a lever for my e-brake to hook up to the pads instead of the cable hooking into the pad.

1st question, how the hell do I get that pin out of the pad?

2nd question, does anybody have a pic or a diagram of what my setup is supposed to look like? Both self adjusters were useless when I pulled them apart.

Sorry, no digicam.

If you're talking about the little brass pin in the old pad...you don't. the new pads come with a new pin that you tap in with a hammer. I had to grind a slight taper on the end of my new pins to help get them in. It wasn't easy to do without mushing the pins. Hope that's what you were asking.

stevez said:
If you're talking about the little brass pin in the old pad...you don't. the new pads come with a new pin that you tap in with a hammer. I had to grind a slight taper on the end of my new pins to help get them in. It wasn't easy to do without mushing the pins. Hope that's what you were asking.

Huh... my new pads didn't come with any pins.

scorpio_vette said:
it's rare the same of the new "high quality" pads come with them. usually the pins are part of the drum hardware kit.

Yeah, turns out they came with the self adjuster kit. When autozone finally gave me the right kit that is... Now I know just to get all new hardware from the get go.

Back