• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those with ARBs, how do you control your winch?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an ARB on my '96 XJ and just bought a Warn M8000 winch.

Since the solenoid pack is mounted on the underside of the bumper, it seems like it would make it difficult to hook up the winch remote control. Especially if you're front end is burried in mud.

Any way to make a remote plug for the winch controller? Or what about some sort of toggle switch ran to the interior?

Any ideas?

90Pioneer said:
Since the solenoid pack is mounted on the underside of the bumper,

Any ideas?

Why'd you mount it down there? Usually the control boxes get mounted on top of the bumper since it makes no sense to have them underneath. ;)

Most companies send you extra wires, so that you can mount on top, bottom or in the engine compartment.

If you want a remote setup, on the dash for instance, that you can purchase, go check out this site:
http://12voltguy.com/catalog.0.html32.0.html

Here are some pics of their products:

winch%20push%20022.jpg

98%20tj%20installed%20on.jpg

A whole kit to get it done from the same guys

kits%20001.jpg

If you want a good write up on how to do it, Stu is the man. Notice that he bought the kit from 12voltguy.com
http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/incab/incab-1.htm

Hope this helps.

Erik

Not to sound like an jerk but I really think you mounted the soleniod pack the wrong way in the bummper. ARB should have sent you a little 90degree bracket that mounts your soleniod pack on top of the bumper. You shouldn't need any extra wires or cables to do this.

ClassicXJ said:
Not to sound like an jerk but I really think you mounted the soleniod pack the wrong way in the bummper. ARB should have sent you a little 90degree bracket that mounts your soleniod pack on top of the bumper. You shouldn't need any extra wires or cables to do this.

X2 the bracket is drilled along w/your bumper to be mounted right in the middle on the top of the bumper........thats how mine was and should be unless u want to mount it somewhere else (like under the hood as some do) but it seems to work really well right there on the bumper, easy access, and its somewhat protected by the lower bar on the bumper......

no way would i ever mount that underneith!

Last edited:
http://community.webshots.com/mypho...D=346422007&photoID=348194138&security=iZIQBF

Here you can see the control box is mounted on the center of my bumper on top. The remote plugs right into that. There is a large hole on the passenger's side of the bumper that the cables go down through. You can see my red cables going from the box, down the hole, then eventually routed through to the battery.

Hope that helps.
Chris

Sorry ckh550 I couldnt get your pictures to work?

The winch is not mounted yet, I just didnt see a way to mount the solenoid pack on top of the bumper. I'll check my ARB hardware and see if there is some sort of bracket in there.

But it does require drilling to mount the solenoid pack?

http://community.webshots.com/user/chris550
Check under the album 'Uwharrie pics". There are several pics of the front bumper and the solenoid pack.
There should be two 'L' shaped brackets in your hardware kit. They are metal, and are about 3" x2" or so. You will have to drill a few small holes into the bumper, no big deal, wherever you choose to mount your solenoid pack. I think it's actually better to mount it slightly to one side on the top part of the bumper. If you look at the down from the top of your bumper you can see the winch cable through a cutout section. When your cable is wrapping up, it can get caught on the L brackets. So try mounting it off to the side.
let me know if you need better pictures, I can take some and email them to you. just PM your email address if you think that will help.

Chris

Hey thanks for the pictures I got them to work now.

The winch is mounted on the bumper, but not yet hooked up. The solenoid is mounted on the top of the bumper, only it lays flat, rather than upright like yours. No drilling was required.

How important is it to actually stretch the cable?

I stretched mine when I first got mine and I would advice anyone to do the same. It only takes a couple minutes and it gets you famliar with your winch, the controls and the general speed of it. It's not like it's going to hurt anything.

Ryan

Back