• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

name this axle

low900rr

NAXJA Forum User
Found this at a junk yard but Im not sure what it is. I know its not a dana35 or the 8.25 but it also doesnt look like the dana 44's Ive seen from the cherokees. This cherokee says it was built 10/86 so thats considered 87?? What other rear ends came in the older Cherokee's?? I gotta try and get pics up.

Can't tell anything with no pics...... :)

Like I just posted in another thread, I've never seen an '87 that didn't have a D44.......not 100% conclusive, but that's my experience. That build date is an '87.

sorry bro it HAS t be one one of the above...unless an this is way out there
the owner did some kind of swap
which I highly doubt

on a side note
when I found my D44 there was so much junk on the diff cover and axle I had to check twice before I decided ot was a D44

Last edited:
Goatman said:
Can't tell anything with no pics...... :)

Like I just posted in another thread, I've never seen an '87 that didn't have a D44.......not 100% conclusive, but that's my experience. That build date is an '87.
And I've never seen an '87 that did have a 44.
Not common at all around here.

Anyway, the only axles in the rear of XJs were the D35, D44, and 8.25 Cryco.

theres a few 44's on ebay right now and on the left side of the pig it has 3 fins as part of the casting. The one I found has one big one right on the center, Too hard without pic I guess.

1 one thing i did notice about it is that it has the threaded drain plug on the diff cover. All the 8.25's and 35's I seen didnt have that.

Okie Terry said:
And I've never seen an '87 that did have a 44.
Not common at all around here.

Anyway, the only axles in the rear of XJs were the D35, D44, and 8.25 Cryco.

Come visit me in Rhode Island, and you'll see your first 87 WITH a D44.

this si what he has as far as pics

Digital_Pictures_103.jpg

Digital_Pictures_104.jpg

Digital_Pictures_105.jpg

Digital_Pictures_106.jpg

Jeffro600 said:
Looks like a 44 to me.

looks like a lot of work to be done on a pile of rust to me...

XJ_ranger said:
looks like a lot of work to be done on a pile of rust to me...

Its not that bad....it does need a good bath and some SERIOUS TLC, but it would work fine. Most of that looks like caked on mud and grease to me...if its cheap, id snag it!!

I need to regear and all that anyways, its slightly different than Anthony's. Is it safe to say its a dana 44?? I can get it for $150.

low900rr said:
I need to regear and all that anyways, its slightly different than Anthony's. Is it safe to say its a dana 44?? I can get it for $150.

Well its certainly not a D35 or an 8.25 and looks awfully like a 44....

For 150 bucks, id snag it.

I'll call it a 44.
But, is that a pimple in the top of the cover?
Better open it up before you take it.

I have yet to find a D44 in any XJ or MJ....and I have looked at maybe 60 different rigs....although I did find one that theoretically had a D44, but it was already gone....The ones I did find by an internet search were stupid expensive (in the $800.00 range and still need regear, locker and disc brake conversion :mad: )....I bought a nice 8.8 to put in my MJ...$225.00 delivered to my shop.

Back