• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 fuel problem

Kudzu

NAXJA Forum User
okay so I am pretty sure the fuel pump is going bad or there is another filter problem...

So its an 84 2.8 was running rough and rich Changed the plugs and its running again but when I put it in gear it dies...Have an inline fuel filter and you can see that it is not geting fuel...My question is Where is the fuel pump?

Kudzu said:
okay so I am pretty sure the fuel pump is going bad or there is another filter problem...

So its an 84 2.8 was running rough and rich Changed the plugs and its running again but when I put it in gear it dies...Have an inline fuel filter and you can see that it is not geting fuel...My question is Where is the fuel pump?
In the Gas Tank.

Oksy then what is this?..the lines going in are from the little fuel filter thats on it

langer1 said:
In the Gas Tank.
Engine.jpg

So it is on the block and not in the tank...Yeah I know I am looking for another rig...I don't want to deal with it but if I can it back running with a fuel pump then its all good:D for a little while at least

Kudzu-

Here is what I can tell you about the set up on my 1985, which should be the exact same as on your 84.

The fuel pump is indeed in the tank, but you can access it from the front of the tank...and when I say front, I mean the side of the tank closest to the front of the Jeep. There is no need to drop the tank to get it out.

The fuel filter orginally screwed into the rear of the carburator on the driver's side. Like you, gave up on that stock location and had an inline installed.

It really isn't much of a hassle to change the fuel pump. I guess that is where I would start. They are relatively cheap (~$60-70) at a parts store. If that isn't the cuplrit, put your old one back in and return the new one.

In regards to your photo, I cannot identify that. Sorry.

Good luck

nope this is on the drivers side of the engine block toward the bottom..pic was taken from underneath

Last edited:
Kudzu, you have a mechanical fuel pump driven by the labe on the cam shaft just like other early Chevy 2.8's. That is the fuel pump you're looking at.

Unbelievable the info that people try to give to ya! There is a small filter in the side of that carb that gave me a lot of trouble with my 84 2.8. Ended up using a clear external. I saw the fuel starvation also that you mention. Never got it fixed as the flex plate went again.

Back