• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What happens when a non c-clip axle shaft snaps?

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I know when a c-clip axle breaks the axle with the wheel falls out. But whats happens when a non clip axle shaft breaks? Wheel stay on ? Still drive able?

I broke one one night. It stayed in, just wobbled like mad. I had to stay on the bunny trails and had someone follow me home.
I wouldn't do it again. I have spares now until I get odd my a$$ and put the 44 or 9in in.

chris

canadianwheeler said:
I know when a c-clip axle breaks the axle with the wheel falls out. But whats happens when a non clip axle shaft breaks? Wheel stay on ? Still drive able?
As long as you have part time 4wd, other wise you won't move.

I had one break on me a few weeks ago. The non c-clip axle has a pressed on roller bearing out by the hub. My bearing blew up and the axle, along with the drum and the tire, shot out from the housing and I was sitting on the road on the backing plate. So get it fixed, I definately wouldn't drive it.

89Wagoneer said:
I had one break on me a few weeks ago. The non c-clip axle has a pressed on roller bearing out by the hub. My bearing blew up and the axle, along with the drum and the tire, shot out from the housing and I was sitting on the road on the backing plate. So get it fixed, I definately wouldn't drive it.

x2

its really funny how many people that that just since thier axle is a Non-C-Clip style, that if they break a rear axle thier ok. The retaining plate and a pressed on retainer sandwiches a tapered bearing, all the while the axle is kept perfectly true in that bearing buy riding in a side gear contained inside the carrier. So if you break a c-clip D35 with drum breaks, its going to slide out pretty easily, but your only out a axle and fluid in most cases. If you break a C-clip axle with disk, your going to retain the axle in the tube for a bit longer then the drum brakes counter part, but it going to start ruining the disk, pads, and caliper most likely. But you can get a little ways still.. You break a Non-C-clip that is Not a full floating tyle axle, and it will survive for a short distance also. But given that now yoru axle is no longer true in the bearing, the bearing now starts to disinagrate. So now when you get to the end of yoru short distance, you have to replace the axle, bearing, retaining plate, shoes, poss drums if the hot spots have built in areas, probabily carrier bearings if your do it right (since you just circulated that metal all through your carrier housing for who knows how long?) and fluid. And thats if your lucky.

Now if you break a axle in any semi-floating type and you stop in a resonable amount of distance, like 100 ft, and you replace it your only got to worry abotu the axle and fluid in most cases.

If your really worried about breaking a axle and still driving on it you must do a full floater kit to like a D44 or such....

Just get anything better then a D35 and carrier extra axles and your no better off then someone with the oposite design really.. Thats my .02

Back