• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seeking Central IN gear installer for D30/8.25

IndyXJ

Member #1314
Looking for a competent gear/locker installer for my HPD30 and Chry 8.25 29sp to regear to 4.56 who has actually worked on a 8.25 before. I assume they would know the ubiquitous D30 already. Sick of having my rig ALMOST there but without proper gearing and a locker(s). I am in Central Indiana, about 25 miles south of Indy. I've talked to people off and on and some are too busy and what not, which is understandable. Would love to just be regeared by Mar 1. Will field any suggestions...I just HEAR that it's a bad idea to go to that national chain I forget the name of...4wd something. That is my last resort.
At this time "just go buy an 8.8/D44 combo" is not an option really. Thanks for any info or leads! Surely I can't be the only one in the same boat. I want reliability of install over price.

Have you tried anyone in Speedway or on the northwest side?

That's race shop heaven. If they can set up Indy car and nascar gears, they can most likely do yours too.

Get in the yellow pages and call some places.

The bad thing is a lot of people that do good work can't afford to pay yellow page ad rates....around here its word of mouth...the only shop locally that advertizes...well...I wouldn't let them put a bearing in a wheelbarrow.

There's a place down here in Bloomington, Extreme Performance. They do mostly offroad trucks and vehicles. They own a couple of mud drag trucks also. The owner's got a cherokee on 35's too. My buddy had his 92 cherokee over there, and had them install 4.56's for 1300 bucks. They replace most of the stuff in the axles though for that price, seals, maybe bearings... i forget. He's real happy with them though, they seem to do good work. I know a couple of the guys over there and they are great guys. I think they just moved to Elletsville now that I think of it, but still basically bloomington.

IndyXJ said:
I'm not doing work on my junk anytime soon.

Change of heart Bill?:laugh3:

Had some coin come in sooner than later, so that is why I'm gear ready. Thanks all for the responses.

Any chance did that include a locker labor install(understanding a locker purchase would add to that).

Thanks.

IndyXJ said:
Had some coin come in sooner than later, so that is why I'm gear ready. Thanks all for the responses.

Any chance did that include a locker labor install(understanding a locker purchase would add to that).

Thanks.
the 1300 did not include a locker install. Also, it prolly depends on what locker you want in there.

what about a cheap place by NE Indianapolis (Fishers/noblesville). I really don't want to spend a whole lot, but also a decent job of installation.

try patterson's on west washington street on the west side of indy. I have gotten quotes from them before and they aren't too bad. they have done custom axle work before if that makes feel any better.

DeadSquirrel said:
what about a cheap place by NE Indianapolis (Fishers/noblesville). I really don't want to spend a whole lot, but also a decent job of installation.

NOTHING in that area is cheap.

I probably should tag this, as I'm in Bedford, IN and want gears installed in the next couple of months. Since this thread is a year old, did you end up getting the job done, and if so, who did the work?

If your in a hurry to re-gear, and don't have much time to spend, look for used axles. There are quite of people doing axle swaps, looking to sell some polished turds.

I just sold a d30 and 29spl 8.25, locked and geared to 4.56 for $1000. There are deals out there to be had, you just have to look for them.

I still have a HPD30, disco, geared to 4.56 that is looking for a new home.

Back