• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear wiper, pain in my @&%

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since I got my XJ(90 Pioneer, 2-door) the rear wiper hasn't worked, when you press the switch there is a loud click in the vicinity of the rear wiper motor then nothing until you turn it off then another click so I go to the junkyard today thinking the motor itself is the problem, I remove 2 different motors plug them in and same thing, I narrowed the clicking to the square box plug that a fellow XJer said is for the intermittent wiper so I tried 3 other box plug things hooked up but there was no difference, still a clicking. Anybody have an idea what the problem is?

Chances are you have found 3 other motors that the shaft has siezed up on. The relay tries to run it but the shaft won't turn. I disassembled mine and found the shaft was corroded to the housing.

TIP get one from a 97 or newer, the shaft and housing are different but everything fits just fine. don't forget to take the plastic bezel also as you will need it.

asatxj said:
Chances are you have found 3 other motors that the shaft has siezed up on. The relay tries to run it but the shaft won't turn. I disassembled mine and found the shaft was corroded to the housing.

TIP get one from a 97 or newer, the shaft and housing are different but everything fits just fine. don't forget to take the plastic bezel also as you will need it.

So the clicking I'm hearing is a good noise then...You think there's any way to dis-asemble the motor and fix it or are they toast as soon as they get like this?

Thanks

I tried to fix one, since I knew I had a spare. I sprayed the shaft down with PB for a couple days, cleanded the old grease out of the gearbox and relubed it. Nothing worked. I couldn't find a way to disassemble it without wrecking it. So I wrecked it and found that I could hardly turn the shaft and hand to pound it out. There is one rubber o-ring that is supposed to keep water from going down the shaft and into the housing. It works for a few years. The newer one has a much better design. I still recommend using PB on it every year and pulling it and replacing the grease in the gearbox every other year if you want it to stay working for a long time. Short answer if you are cheap keep looking for a newer one in the boneyard. If not get one from quadratec. BTW the relay clicking says you have power doing it's job back there. No wiring repairs needed.

Back