• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No rear wheel drive

hockeyplurr

NAXJA Forum User
On my ray back from the homestead run today, Im going down the Highway, and I hear a pop. I start to slow down and I hear another one, which is followed by grinding coming from the left rear. So I pull over and pull the tire off, pull the drum and everything is in order. I put it back together and no more grinding. I make it to the boniface and the glen. Let off the gas, when I went to hit the gas again the rear wheels wernt ingaging. I stop and couldnt figure out whats going on, so I put it in 4wd and limped it home. Now Im stuck wondering what the hell is going on?? I also noticed the driveline looks like it pulled out of the transfer case a little bit. I took a picture and will post it up in a second. BTW its Dana35

Heres a link to the pic

http://alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=13051

Last edited:
hockeyplurr said:
Okay, just jacked it up and left it in parked. The driveshaft does not spin. I think I narrowed the grinding noise down to the rear brakes, just because the rear brakes were pretty bad as it was earlier. Now to the rear, could the driveline just get pulled out to much which is not allowing it to work.

Nope.

Rev

hockeyplurr said:
Do you have any idea to what it could be?

It's broke.

IF, you go to move and the vehicle does not move in 2X, and the rear DS does not spin, things point to the transfer case. Check the linkage to insure that you are "in gear". IF the linkage is good, then things are pointing to the transfer case.

Rev

jack up rear end, remove driveshaft, start jeep, make sure its in 2WD, put in D, crawl under, see if out put shaft is spinning

also, do this w/ the driveshaft installed, crawl around underneath, listen for noises

mite be a broken axle shaft, its a d35, so im guess shaft over tcase

Broken axle shaft sounds like the most likely culprit to me. Once you have one broken, if your diff is open, it's going to spin the busted stub because it has the least traction, and the other side will stay stationary.

pull the cover off the rear and see if gears fall out

funvtec said:
pull the cover off the rear and see if gears fall out

why would the gears ever fall out?

the spider gears if the crack they will be sitting in the bottom of the housing, and when you pull the cover off they will come out along with the fluid

if the spider gears dont fall out check over everything and make sure it looks good if it does then put the cover back on and fill it up and look elsewhere for problems

I had my ring gear and the part it bolts to completely separate from the rest of the carrier on my 35. That made it not go too well it 2wd. Take off your diff cover. That's easy to do.

hackedxj said:
It won't be the axle shaft broken or the rear wheel would have came off in a few feet. I say spider gears or TC.

The wheel will only fall off if it is a C clip D30. If it is a non C clip the axle is held in by a retaining plate behind the brake assembly. The grinding and popping was coming from the rear, lets hope for his sake that it is a broken axle shaft. (cheaper and easier to fix). Jack the vehicle up by the back axle and put it on jack stands. Pull the brake assembly off and you will expose the retaining plate that holds the axle in. remove the bolts and slide the axle out of the housing. Check both sides and I'll bet one of them is broken. A lot more things will go wrong with a transfer case before you loose just the rear wheel drive. The front wheel drive usually goes not the rear. Go to pick and pull, the axles there are usually under $20.00 and they have lots of D35's. Grab a couple of extra ones, this will be a common occurrence with a D35.

HTH,
Neil

Last edited:
spidergearscarrier.jpg

sorry to who ever pic this is i dont remember where i got it from but here is a pic of spider gers that broke laying in the bottom of the housing. I have personally done much worse than this to the point that the whole gear is laying in pieces in the bottom

XJ_ranger said:
why would the gears ever fall out?
they did on my blazer, the ring and spider gears exploded with enough force to shock the trany and snap something in there too! i sold it ( the blazer ) and bought my 03 f250 for towing and the 85 XJ to play.

Another thing I just thought of. What is the lift on your rig? Do you still have a stock drive shaft? What I'm taking a long time to get to is, you may have stripped the splines on the slip yoke. When you lift a rig and keep the stock drive shaft, the slip yoke has very little engagement and can easily strip the splines in the yoke.

Neil

Neil I checked that and it was fine. I then pulled the differ cover off and noticed the axle left axle shaft was missing. I looked over at the left brake drum and noticed it was pulled out about an 1" to 2" compared to the other side where it sat flush. Things point to the bearing inside the axle, which would probly explain why I heard the loud pop then the grinding. Ill get pics up later today.

Back