• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 WJ fan relay. Where?

BrokenXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Wife's WJ electric cooling fan is stuck on. I looked in the relay center, and the relay is not there. Pulled the fuse to kill it.

Anybody got any ideas?

I'm not sure about the WJ. On the 99XJ it's in the relay center that's on the driver's side in the engine compartment.

The XJ also has relays next to the fuses that are located in the kick panel on the passenger side. I don't know if this is the same location for the WJ, but it's worth looking to see whether there are any relays in that area as well.

MAP

BrokenXJ said:
Wife's WJ electric cooling fan is stuck on. I looked in the relay center, and the relay is not there. Pulled the fuse to kill it.

Anybody got any ideas?

Sorry, but I do know where it is. Kinda hard to get there from here. Behind the rt headlamp and down about 4 inches tucked into a bracket. Our Jeep mechanic( I'm in the parts dept of a chrysler, dodge jeep dealership) pulls the right side of the front bumper cover down and removes the right headlamp to gain enough access and then its only marginal. I think he gets an hour to do this. I think, if my memory serves me right, the part # is 4707286AG

Part number 4707286AG is superceced by 4707286AI and lists for $72.20

Now you didn't hear this from me :)
and I'll deny it if asked
but if you go to a dealer and ask for part # CLX38250
which is a recall part package for a late 90's Caravan
it will have the same relay in it and it'll only cost you @$25.00

Sh-h-h-hhhhh. Remember you did'nt hear it from me :gag:

Remove the 7mm screw that hold the Rt headlamp in place, gently pry the housing out of the grille. You can pry between the lamp and the steel radiator support behind it.

Then take a 2" holesaw and cut a section out of the bucket under where the lamp sets.

You will then see the relay in the hole you just cut. About 2"x3" long with a flat connector going to it. Unplug and unscrew the relay and you're done.

I have replaced literally hundreds of these before in the manner I am describing.

WNC Custom Jeeps said:
Remove the 7mm screw that hold the Rt headlamp in place, gently pry the housing out of the grille. You can pry between the lamp and the steel radiator support behind it.

Then take a 2" holesaw and cut a section out of the bucket under where the lamp sets.

You will then see the relay in the hole you just cut. About 2"x3" long with a flat connector going to it. Unplug and unscrew the relay and you're done.

I have replaced literally hundreds of these before in the manner I am describing.

What a great idea!!! I'll tell our Jeep mechanic and see if he wants to try it the next time.

Back