• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Swaybar...

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
I recently lifted my jeep, have searched about people removing their rear swaybar and wanted to know how this would change the driving characteristics. Also what input or next steps do i need to take in prep for a 4.5 inch lift, should have gone that route first. Thanks.

im currently running no sways at all and it feels fine. i am gonna put the front back on though as soon as i get off my lazy ass... its not a good idea to run without it...

Jeffro600 said:
You can toss that rear swaybar in the trash...DONOT remove your front one however....just get some quick disconnects.

X2

Other than the noobies, no one here has a rear sway bar.

If you are that concerned about it, I would recommend removing your sway bar and taking a slow test drive and see if you could tell a difference. Unlike the others here, I could not tell a difference.

If you don't like it, put it back on. What do have to loose other than a little time experimenting. ;)

You probably won't even notice that its gone until you drive off-road and notice that those leaf springs can actually flex a little.

Going to 4.5 inches brings about a lot of little things that aren't typically present on smaller lifts. Braklines, steering, track bar, arms and such can all be upgraded. A complete kit like that sold by DPG is a good way to go. It adds things like rear bump stop plates that you will most likely need. I went with the 5" hybrid lift but after bolting on bumpers, rock rails, skidplates, a winch, and wheeling with lots of gear I realized it was too low for me and ended up adding more lift.

What are your goals?

Greg

Thanks for everyones input, i dont think i will remove it as someone has said they tow and because of that they put it back on! I tow a boat, have a 2000 with 193,000 miles on it (highway is an everyday for me)! I put a rough country 3" kit on to basically see how it would change my driving, actually love the kit, thought it would be crap as far as quality, its not, but now looking at lca's, track bar, and other stuff i will need to make my jeep more trail ready, since it has pretty much no flex right now with 3" Considering a daystar kit with spacer and maybe adding another leaf in the rear or buying a 4.5" full pack how will this change things, is this the best way to go, or could i improve my 3" kit with some of these other components to balance my on road driving with my need to have a jeep that is more capable.... By the way, looked at the block that came with the RC kit and threw it in the trash, im not that stupid......

For cars, we do a combination of swaybars and springs to keep the car flat in the turns, and more than that, try to neutralize the handling. Rule of thumb is to promote oversteer (ie, make the car loose), stiffen up the rear, and soften the front. To promote understeer (make it push) stiffen the front and soften the rear. Loosing the rear bar will give you more understeer. MFG's like understeer, as you plow into something head on vs spinning out. Remember the Corvair? Heavy oversteer from the factory, and people were spinning them all the time. Unless your going for handling, then understeer is probably more desirable. Like they said though, don't loose the front bar, just disconnect it for offroad. That rear bar on the XJ is smaller than the front bar on my Civic btw, and I have very small bar on the front of that. :)
I really doubt it did too much, and with bigger aftermarket springs, it probably doesn't have much of an effect.

Are you still putting that kind of milage on the Jeep? Maybe its just my idea of practicality, but if you drive that much on the road and do some towing, a lifted XJ doesn't make sense in my book. Since you are already lifted a little, just keep it where its at and run some 31's. I was going to suggest some 4 cylinder axles with 4.10's, but since you have a D35 I will assume you have ABS and would like to keep it that way.

Greg

I noticed a difference after I dumped my rear sway bar. Not quite significant, but it was different none the less. I quickly became acustom to it without problems.

With the front disconnected I noticed absolutely no difference what so ever. In fact I broke a quick disconnect link and didnt even know it until I saw it hanging.

I just read this today and decided to remove my rear sway bar too. I noticed a slight difference in handling but the ride has greatly improved. My suspension used to be so stiff in the back and it didnt feel good going over speed bumps and small potholes, but its a lot smoother now. I havent flexed it yet, but im sure its gonna be better. I have ome suspension components w/ about 3" of lift.

I recommend it, but i dont tow anything, so i have no input towards the effect on towing.

Use a JKS on the front. Unless Ya tow something. Rip the rear sway off and use it for yard Art to mount your Mail Box to.

As folks have said, remove the rear swaybar and get disconnects for the front.

Mine came from the factory without one (rear swaybar). I also have the Factory Towing Package - It tows FINE. It's now lifted 3.5" and the best ride I've ever had. Cough up some $$ for OME shocks. You won't regret it.

I'm amazed that you're running rear swaybar on a lifted rig...does it LEAN?

Back