• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine Belt Removal

critik

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having trouble loosening the power steering pump tensioner. I've loosened the bolt on top in the front that's used as a pivot point, as well at the two in the back that slide around in the bracket. Is that all I have to loosen?

The long tensioner bolt won't budge, and I don't want to break it. Which way should I be turning it to loosen it? And, are there any bolts that I have to loosen before that?

There is also a nut directly below the pulley that is used to secure the tensioning assembly.

You can break the tensioning mechanism if you don't loosen all four(4) fasteners.....I have.

Righty tighty.....lefty loosy.

Alright, I'll try that.

Yep, got that down ;) But, I wasn't sure it was any different, because it was an adjuster bolt, and not just one holding something down. Got it now. Thanks.

What year do you have?

Relatively easy.

If you loosen all four fasteners such that the PS assembly can be wiggled, then you're good to go on the tensioning bolt.

See if you can get some PB on the shaft of the tensioning bolt, and start torqueing it CW/CCW to see if you can loosen it.

That sucker won't budge. I sprayed it down in PB, waited awhile, sprayed it some more, and then I ended up taking the bolts off, and getting the belt off that way. I think it's caught in the thing the bolt below the pulley was held in place. There's about an inch of the bolt sticking out from that on the left side. Anyway, I can't figure out what the heck is up with it. Is it possible to adjust the tension without it?

Not sure on the 94 but on the 97+ you have to loosen the idler pulley, thats what locks the slideing portion on the adjuster and the idler pulley is what actually adjusts to set the tension. On my 98 and both TJ's the power steering pulley is not part of the adjustment at all.

Mine is the same way....won't budge....I just keep spraying belt grip on the belt in the hopes that it doesn't start slipping too bad. Will change out power steering pump bracket in the spring. Hopefully 5-90 will have an improved version of the adjuster by then.

No. I haven't managed yet. I'm gonna try using a bigger wrench or something, and, even if I do ruin the damn bolt, I'm about to head to a Jeep junkyard anyway, so, I'll just find a bracket that works.

I just need to make sure I'm getting something straight here.

Say that my belt was too loose. Which way would I turn that adjuster bolt so that it would tighten the belt? Right, or left? I've been turning this way, turning that way, but, no results. Any help here?

critik said:
I just need to make sure I'm getting something straight here.

Say that my belt was too loose. Which way would I turn that adjuster bolt so that it would tighten the belt? Right, or left? I've been turning this way, turning that way, but, no results. Any help here?

you have to release a couple of holding bolts that allow it to freely move...or nothing works.

Nope. It's really loose. And I'm trying to tighten it, but the bolt doesn't really like turning for me at all, so I'm not getting far. I just want to make sure I know that I'm turning the right way so that I don't put a bunch of effort into it and find out that I've done it wrong.

It's pretty damn cold out there...and very, very windy. Lovely day to work on a car, huh?

Back