• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing Head Questions

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I have the head off of my 4.0 Non HO. Is there any advantage or disadvantage that anyone has found installing Head with the Intake and Exhaust manifolds already installed? Or visa versa?

thanks
Michael

If you're a big guy, or you have some help, you might find it easier to install the manifolds before you install the head - I do.

Granted, I'm a pretty big dude, and I can handle the head with the manifolds attached - but I feel I do a more consistent job of torquing the manifold when I do it on the bench.

However, once you torque the bolts, try to handle the assembly as close to the head as possible - the less you use the manifolds, the less leverage you apply, and the less likely you are to loosen the connection.

If you have a source locally, I suggest the use of brass bolts to replace the steel ones (replace the steel ones, at the very least!) and use some brass allthread to make replacement studs - everything is threaded 3/8"-16. I think the bolts are 1-1/2" long (I'd have to check - I still haven't gotten my "tech pages" done) and you'll need to make the studs 2" long or so.

Also, try to get some LocTite 272 - it's the one that's formulated for exhaust heat, and won't give up. You should be able to score RTV Copper locally - I like to use a THIN layer on both sides of the manifold gasket - all over.

Lastly, MAKE SURE you reuse the "dish" shaped washers - replace them if you don't have them all. You'll find them under "Belleville spring washers" through MSC Direct for a nominal price.

:wave:

5-90

Thanks very much for the help. I am not large so the weight is my major concern. But if I can get a hand from my wife or a friend I think this is the way I will go. I have replaced the studs and was planning on useing antiseize on all of the bolts and studs (not locktite)? I will use copper on the manifold gasket.

I assume the head gasket should be put on without any rtv?

Thanks,
Michael

Correct. Most modern head gaskets are actually imprinted with all the sealer needed, and will say (on the tag or right on the gasket) USE NO SEALER. Anyhow, head gaskets requiring sealer typically come with instructions on what to use and where (I know Fel-Pro gaskets don't require sealant - or retorquing...)

If you get help with this, make sure that they can follow instructions PROMPTLY and AS GIVEN - something I have noted that very few wives are able to do in situations that they don't understand (mine does - and I'm grateful.) Combined weight of the thing will be in the 70-90# range, and it's two feet of metal - so you really need to have "two sets of hands answering one brain."

That isn't to scare you - just the way it is. I feel fortunate in that my wife will follow directions as noted above, and reserve questions for later (that REALLY helps sometimes!) If you have any doubts, it's better for you to put the head on and then install the manifolds.

I also find it useful to have some sort of alignment pin to lower the head onto - I tend to use old pushrods - but the holes are threaded 1/2-13, so you can use allthread rod, and cut out at least two (use them in opposite corners, and make sure you can reach them with your fingers. Install loosely, and remove before you install the bolt holes.)

It's not necessary to use any threadlocker on any bolts - but the driver's side front will want some sort of sealant, since it goes into the water jacket. Use teflon pipe "dope" or paste, NOT teflon tape!

If you note any paint marks on the bolt heads, REPLACE THEM. If you don't, PAINT THEM. If you aren't sure, REPLACE THEM. The head bolts for the AMC242 are designed to be resused precisely ONCE, and they're "torque to yield" otherwise. That's a great way to have a broken bolt to remove later - and it's a pain to remove a broken bolt in a cylinder deck (I haven't found a good way to do it yet...)

5-90

Thanks again for the assistance. That is what I figured. I now have all of the pieces ready to go back together, however my wifes truck is now in need of some attention also.

With any luck it will be on in the next evening or two and all back together!!

Thanks,
Michael

Back