• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Continue saga (was PO700 and PO743)

Sitting Bull

NAXJA Forum User
Quick recap...

Check engine light comes on, take it to A-zone for a reading.
Number PO700 and PO743 pop up.
Come to NAXJA, ask for help.
Learn PO700 is general tranny problems, 743 is Torque Converter Clutch

Here's the wierd part...
My wife takes it to a dealer this morning to have them see if the tranny is going to need rebuilt, or what in the world is going on. They inspect the Jeep and tell her the following needs replaced...

Thermostat
Evaporator hose by the gas tank (??)
Cat Conv. is dead (they are correct on that one)
Throttle Body needs cleaned
New serpentine belt
Coolant Flush
He tells Jolie it's a cold start problem.

So, I call the dude to see what's up. Really nice guy. He tells me the same thing, I tell him the codes that AZ popped up - and he states, yeah those were the codes, and the problem is this issue, not in the transmission.

I've learned to trust y'all from my past problems, but this isn't lining up. Although dealers are expensive, this one is pretty reputable.

Not sure where to go next, I think I can replace all the stuff they found - so maybe I'll do that and see what's next.

The only one I don't know what it is - the evaporator hose. He says it's by the gas tank. Anybody describe this hose to me??? The only evaporator hose I know about is on the AC system.

Last edited:
??? tranny works right? just codes keep popping? what year(s)?
we just had one at the lot that wasnt shifting right...going from 1st to 3rd...got 3 trans codes from the computer...shift selnoid(sp), torque converter lock up, and something else...turned out some one had removed the transmission relay under the hood...97 zj 4.0 auto...looks like it had been out for a while, maybe they yanked it trying to get to replace a bad starter relay? dunno...

jeepdeepfreak said:
maybe one of the vapor lines that go to the charcoal canistor?

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner. Now the million dollar question, how does the charcoal cannister possibly relate to the tranny codes???

Back