• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lighted vanity mirrors

alpinetiburon04

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard there is a red wire above the headliner that provides power to the lighted vanity mirrors in Xjs. I just pulled the headliner from my 91 sport and there's no wire.Should there be a harness somewhere up there that connects somewhere around the pass side footwell? I figured I can just strip one from another XJ. Thanks.

my lighted mirror has a connector just to the right of it under the a-pillar vinyl. Mine doesn't work,(big surprise) but that's what's there.

I just replaced my visor with a junkyard one because the felt had seen better days. When changing it out I noticed the ground wire was broken. Probably why my light never worked. So hopefully you can just repair your problem.

The wire was more pink on my 88, might have been from age. Almost all the XJ i've seen in junk yards have the harness, and your right it start from the pasanger side and runs up into the headliner. It's should be contained in the same bundle of wires as the door light.
At some point and i'm not to sure of when, the plug style chenges and they dont clip together. Also you might find a bundle of wires that have more than just the red and ground, the rest of them were for the console and wireless locks and all that, if you find them and ever have the idea of putting things like that in grab the whole bundle it will save you time looking for them later.

The wire appears to be absent on my base model 95. I have noticed that on this one, they seem to have omitted a number of the unused pieces of harness that were so useful on the earlier models. No extra door wiring either, and nothing for optional interior lights.

I pulled the lighted visors (and headliner) from a 97, it has two wires - green/red for power, black for ground.

I put these in a 87 XJ, so the wiring is not close to being similar.

I haven't figured out why the lights won't work, but I will get there.

alpinetiburon04 said:
I've heard there is a red wire above the headliner that provides power to the lighted vanity mirrors in Xjs. I just pulled the headliner from my 91 sport and there's no wire.
There won't be a wire up there if your Jeep didn't come equipped with the illuminated vanity mirrors. If you decide to add the lighted visors, you'll need to add the wiring also (or just run your own).

makmadison said:
I pulled the lighted visors (and headliner) from a 97, it has two wires - green/red for power, black for ground.

I put these in a 87 XJ, so the wiring is not close to being similar.

I haven't figured out why the lights won't work, but I will get there.

Strange...I pulled a pair of lighted ones from a 98 and put them in my 90. Plug and play with only the one pink wire.

If your Cherokee isn't prewired, when you replace your harness with one from a donor vehicle with illuminated mirrors be aware that you must disconnect the origional harness from the dome light unless you want to do a little splicing. When you pull it out be sure to tie a string around the dome light end of the harness so you can use the string to pull the new harness back to the dome light opening in the headliner. As an added bonus this addition reduced the whining noise coming from the passenger seat area.

Back