• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rockwell axles

Dustinyork

NAXJA Forum User
My father works at a scrapyard that often gets military contracts , i went to say hi today and he said he was going to be torching deuce and a halfs for scrap all day and would set me aside a pair of rockwell axles if i wanted them . Ive seen rockwells under full frame vehicles and a few jeeps but not an xj , he said they also have about 9 k5 style blazers that were deisels and had one ton axles . Are the rockwells worth picking up for another project ? or should i just stick with the one ton axles and save my self the hassle of ginourmous axle swapping it would take for the rockwells to be in place for a off road only vehicle, Are the rockwells worth picking up to hold on too ?

Last edited:
they still have rims and tires on them . if i want he will set me aside two fronts with steering knucles so if i ever wanted i could go all wheel steer . good idea but theese things are huge , i dont even have a way to get them home if i wanted them. any one ever see them under an xj before ? theres an old xj at a friends hes been using for parts ... that would be fun just to see .

If you have the fab skills and the patients to completely reinforce and subframe your XJ I would say yes. It is not an easy task to get those under the XJ. You will need a HUGE lift to pull it off (the pinions sit 9" above the axle) and don't forget the axles weigh 1550 lbs for the pair.

Go to Billy's site ( www.xjdb.com ) and you will see some XJs with shortened Rockwells on them.

I think you might have more fun with one of those complete K5 diesel blazers building that up then dealing with the Rockwells.

shortxjdoug said:
i second that, if anything they are worth good money

On eBay usually you can get $800 for them but shipping is a bitch.

ill just wrap them in brown paper and send them ups Lmao .Buyers pay shipping , i could only imagine that price. i think it would be quite an involved project to use them in a truck that i would build , so i might just part with them . However the rest of the deuce is there including the leaf springs (imagine that leaf pack under an xj!) and all the shackles and mounting hardware . There are two hummers but they have been cut into four pieces i believe . ive also spotted alot of old army jeeps at a local junkyard but most of them are cruched and cut up. i know there is only one that is still whole , but unregisterable? i think its a late 40s early 50s model. i know the k5s dont have any titles but the bodys and the parts are solid , except the motors , they punched holes in the with sledge hammers so they couldnt be reused . ugh

The K5s should be a 14-bolt full-float rear and D60 front, low pinion, passenger drop, with 4.56s and Detroit lockers. I'm going to be putting a similar set under my XJ...you just have to be willing to deal with the change from drivers side to passenger side drop, which involves cutting the floorpans etc. I'd do that over Rocks on an XJ. Now, you could take the K5 axles and put them under your XJ, then put the Rocks under the K5...

yah , that was the idea i was sort of leaning towards , but i dont have room for another project , than again rockwells would make a great coffee table in the the living room till then.....

Dustinyork said:
yah , that was the idea i was sort of leaning towards , but i dont have room for another project , than again rockwells would make a great coffee table in the the living room till then.....

if you don't want them i could always use a late christmas present :wave:

Rockwells would be alot of work but it is possible. It all really depends on what your final goal is. If I was in your position with the availability of parts, the rockwells would be forsale locally. Skip on the one from the cucv blazer cause they should probably be 10bolts with a gov-lok. Some blazers might have the better axels but not many if any should. If your father gets those kinds of vehicles look for the military pickups. They should have the 1ton 60/14b combo with 4.56's and a detroit in the 14b. A shaved 60/14 can be pretty decent.

I have a set of K5 Blazer alxes laying here behind the shop. The truck was a 6.2 diesel Army CUCV. The axles are 10 bolts, passenger side drop, open with 3:07s. Look at the lugs, if they are 6 lug they are not what you are looking for.

there eight lug and all the trucks are military . im going to go out there tommorrow and i will look to see what else is there . ill take pics and if i can some diff tags too

Back