• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator question

ebishop

NAXJA Forum User
The other day I had my check gauges light come on. My voltmeter was sitting on 9. Came up to normal a few seconds later. No squealing from the belt that I heard. Since then I have kept an eye on it and noticed that it goes down to 10 or so at idle with some accesories on, especially the defroster. This is a 2000 XJ completely stock so i have no high powered add-ons. Is this normal for the alternator to not be able to keep up at idle or is the alternator on it's way out.

Eric

I had similar symptoms with my '96 a couple weeks ago and was told to take it to autozone and let them do a free diagnostic on the alt and the batt :D

It checked out okay, so I ordered a Krikit (part #KR2) from NAPA. My belt tension was <100Lbs and it's supposed to be ~150. I tightened it up to spec, and haven't had the problem since.

The alternator should be more than able to keep up at idle.

Back