• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wanting to regear from my 3.07's

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I was talking with a friend and was telling him about how i want to regear my d35/d30 axles in my xj to 4.11's

he said it'll make a world of difference which i know. but he also mentioned that i'm gonna need a whole new carrier. cuz the 4.11's won't fit onto the 3.07 carrier. he said if i had anything above a 3.07 they fit fine. like a 3.55.

is there any truth to this? or is he feedin me lies. cuz i'd really like to get the gearing delt with. if i gotta replaced the carrier's on the d30 and d35 then i may as well just get a new rear end and just buy a new carrier for the front.

any help appreciated.

ah ok. well if thats the case.

i don't think i'll go to 4.11's. if 3.73 is the cut off point then i think thats what i'll do.

A couple of new carriers should only be $100-120. Compared to the rest of the project, this is minimal.

What size tires do you want to run? We already know you have a 5spd.

I ran 4.10s with a set of 31x10.50s. Good combination, and no trouble keeping up on the highway. I had problems when I put on a set of 33x12.50s, those really need 4.56s behind a 5spd.

he said if i had anything above a 3.07 they fit fine. like a 3.55.

actually i believe the cutoff is between 3.55 and 3.73.

why would you want to get a whole new rear end? what are your plans for this ride? for you to save money you would have to find a rear end that already has the gears that you are going to put in. otherwise you'll still have to regear.

also for future reference, if you have a dana44 and your upgrading your gears from 3.55 or below to 3.73 or above, you can do it without getting a new carrier. i know yukon makes a thick ring gear to be used with the old carrier.

ya your right a new carrier isn't that much at all.

i think thats what i'll do then and go with the 4.11's
i currently have 31x10.5's but i'm adding another 1" of lift shortly to my 3" and i plan to run 32x11.5's so the 4.11's would definitly be in order.

i just want to keep things on the cheap as much as possible.

is buying used gears a bad idea? or is it ok provided there's no chip's are signs of heat damage?

If you're going bigger than 31s, don't even think about 3.73s!

I'm not the right guy to offer advice on used gears, I won't use them. I figure the cost from used to new is pretty low, compared to what the rest of the project is costing, and what a bad set could cost me.

Back