• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manifold

wilson

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about some help. If you guy could read this web sit and tell me what you think about buying this exhaust manifold. look at the pics how could they be so cheep? one 89 and the other 134 dollars? and why is the oem part 340+ dollars. plus the cheep ones say they are OME.
Can you please look at both web sites. what one would you buy? or would you buy OEM from jeep.
Its for a friend. I would have baught a header. but my friend just drive his jeep in the city. (i tried to talk him into it)
thank you so much for your time
what i wounder about is the welds.

http://store.directauto.com/emac2.html
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustManifolds/Jeep/GrandCherokee
http://www.newjeepparts.com/Jeep-parts.htm

wilson said:
and why is the oem part 340+ dollars. plus the cheep ones say they are OME.

They very well could be OEM at that price - if they're made in Beijing. I personally wouldn't trust the quality of the metal if that's the case.

OEM doesn't mean anything anymore, so many sellers use it in false/misleading ways.
One of those web sites you listed says "OEM part number" , i.e. "this cheap knock off is made to replace that part no .."

I have the one from Direct Auto. Haven't had any problems yet. Lifetime warranty- Why would you buy one for $300 when the one for $110 is warrantied?

thanks for the help guys. and about the metal, if i heard right China is or was buying all the metal from allover the world. And I think they have bought from sweden also and i think sweden has some of the best quality in the world.(im not swedish, i am American). the USA also buys from sweden.
but I realy understand about buying from china but dose anyone know were the OEM parts are made?

I am half way into installing my header from 1aauto.com. I bought the $134 option. The product is warranteed but I would rather not have to install this again. A stamp on the metal says "China"
DSC03337.jpg

DSC03335.jpg

DSC03336.jpg

I am not sure what the accordian section does. I suppose it would help when the unit heats up and expands but the real problem is at the 2-into-1 junction. Why not put a baffle here too? I am also putting in a new motor mount today. Hopefully this will lessen the likelyhood of the header cracking again.

So D10shun, what do you make of the chinese manufacturing quality? Did it fit flat against the mating surface? And did the gasket match the ports as exact as the OEM gasket?

I'm a professional mechanic and have installed alot of the aftermarket (China) manifolds. Never had a problem. As long as they have the "flex" area you should be OK.

92DripCherokee said:
So D10shun, what do you make of the chinese manufacturing quality? Did it fit flat against the mating surface? And did the gasket match the ports as exact as the OEM gasket?

The quality of the welds were decent. The header fit perfectly flat against the block too. The gasket that I bought also matched up almost perfectly. I had to carve a tiny amount of material from one bolt hole but other than that everything looked good. We'll see how the header holds up in the next year. I removed the old flange bolts that were pressed into the old header and pounded them into the new one. I really didn't like tapping them into the new flange. Once I was done, I found the new bolts that came with the header. Oops. These bolts were not the press in style; they were just regular bolts.

Back