• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Noise

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I am getting a new noise in my 1990 XJ.

When I have been driving it happens when I come to a stop.

After I am at a complete stop, with my foot on the brake, I get a horrible rattle from just below my feet.

This is an automatic vehicle. If I keep my foot on the brake and shift into park or nuetral, the rattle goes away.

As soon as I lift my foot off the brake and begin to accellerate, the rattle goes away.

I have not tried this at a light in either of the other forward gears, or in reverse.

This does not happen EVERY time that I come to a stop, but it does more often than not...probably 85% of the time.

I can feel the vehicle shake when this happens and occasionally the rattle is loud enough to cover the radio.

Could there be something going wrong in the tranny that causes it to shake only when the brakes are on in drive? This is a very confusing problem? What do y'all think it is?

HELP!!

Thanks

I don't know enough(more like nothing) about the tranny or the tranny controller but I'll go as far as saying this....the tranny controller uses a signal from the brake(depressed) to unlock the torque converter.

For those who know, would a bad connection cause the described problem?

Check the bracket underneath that's part of your shift linkage.

Mine did the same thing and it turned out that the metal bushing had worn out, allowing the rod to rattle.

I'll search around for the thread, because someone had the part # for the bushing kit. I used a piece of rubber fuel line underneath the rod to prop it up so it wouldn't rattle. 3 years, and my cheap fix is hangin' in there! :laugh3:

EDIT: found this...http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62732

Last edited:
Back