• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locright

trashedxj

NAXJA Member # 1386
ok i think its called a loc right, its made by richmond and i want to know if its a good locker? any experinced users pls help! my local 4x4 shop quoted me 400bucks installed, and i was gonna get 32's at tax return but i might do this cuz its less than half the price of BFG's! i guse i wanna know if its worth the money? will it last? is it as good as detroit?

if you could spell it right you could search:D

you gonna put it in the front or the rear? 400 is way too damn high. buy it for 230 and put it in yourself. only takes an hour or two at the very most. its super easy to install. works great. i've had mine in my 30 for well over a year and its holding up great. i wouldnt put one in the rear. for a front locker it cant be beat for the price though. so: its worth the money, it will last, not much experience with a detroit but its half the cost and you dont have to reset the gears. GET IT!

im putting it in the rear and i have no clus how to do it myself, but why not put it in the rear, he said it would be 500 for the same thing in the front! wouldnt i be better to put a locker in the rear before the front?

all a matter of opinion on whether or not the front or back. even with no clue you can do it. surely you can find someone to give you a hand. they just dont have the best road manners in the rear and are kind of loud. what kind of rear do you have?

depends if you even can put it in the rear cause if you dont have an open carrier you cant. which means if you have a posi or limited slip diff its not open carrier and a lockrite wont fit in. but if it isnt a posi or LSD then yes it will fit in

I’ve had one in my Dana 35 for almost year now. I liked it so well I got one for the front. The rear took about 2 hours going really slow, but I had never seen inside a differential cover before. The front was a little harder because I had to pull the carrier and separate the ring gear. It took about 6 hours, but it was very leisurely with several breaks for smokes and beer. You can buy the rear Lock Right for about $250; the front is a little more expensive at around $280. DO NOT pay someone to install them! If you can change your oil then you can do this. Occasionally the rear will pop/bang (most when backing up), but it’s not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I’ve never heard a peep from the front, but it does make it steer a little differently in 4 WD. For the $500 he is quoting, you can buy the front AND rear and install them yourself. I only have 31” ATs on my XJ and I’ve gotten into places where guys with 35” MTs can’t.

I've been running them front and rear for about 60,000 miles or so. Done the Rubicon, everything at Moab....never a problem. The key to longevity is keeping your foot from flooring the skinny pedal.

As mentioned, some noise from the rear is inevitable but less likely I've found when running synthetic gear oil.

In the front the locker can make tight turns in 4wd a bit more challenging but the traction is well worth it. I found that adding a Tera 2Low kit to my t-case was exactly what I needed for the trail. I only use 4wd when I really need it and the steering remains normal.

While driving on the street the front is not noticeable. The only exceptions to that are if you have a full time case like the 242 and try to run on the pavement. Everything gets goofy then. The other exception is front wheel drive if you have the rear driveshaft out. The handling is very quirky with just a front locker in place.

I can understand your trepidation in installing them. They are fairly easy to do but if you don't feel up to it, find another shop. Labor rates around here are about $80 and hour. You shouldn't have to pay more than 3-4 hours shop time to have both installed. That would be under $800 for the pair installed.

Get a price with them installing the lockers you provide and see if you can shave some money off the bid that way.

Finally, this is a great opportunity to meet some people. Ask for help installing it and you'll get it done for the price of a pizza and a 12 pack. You'll also make some friends. We started an entire Jeep club on that concept alone.

i've got lockrites in my cj5, and they really arent too bad...you can hear em knock and click especially when u back up, or make semi slow turns. like they said, go easy on the skinny pedal and you'll be jest fine:)

-Kris

Back