• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My trans is slipping!!

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
1996 4.0 XJ, 84k miles, automatic transmission - fluid serviced 8k miles ago, still pink, full, and smells mildly burnt. 33" tires, 4:56 gears RE6160 5.5" LA lift. I have a heavy duty trans cooler.

Two nights ago I went out wheeling. I don't remember much but apparently I was pretty hard on the thing. Tonight I start her up to go for a drive. Trans starts slipping immediately and the engine just revs past 25mph.

Same in 3rd and 4 high.

No visual damage to the jeep.

Where should I start, what is most likely wrong? Should I start shopping for a new AW4?

Seems a bit too sudden, but low fluid can cause what you describe.

No leaks? When you say full are you basing that on your own recent check or because it was serviced 8K ago? I have an '87, 215K+ miles, with original tranny and the only problems I've ever had was due to a leak I need to fix. That thing's a tough booger.

Ah. Forget what I said earlier. Pink, smells mildly burnt,...Of course you checked it recently. I'm a dummy.

Does sound like low fluid though.

I did go through a bunch of water that night. Is it possible some sensor could be creating this problem, causing the trans to slip?

Fluid didn't show any signs of water.

90Pioneer said:
I did go through a bunch of water that night. Is it possible some sensor could be creating this problem, causing the trans to slip?

Fluid didn't show any signs of water.

I got water in my aw4 once. I didnt SEE water in it, but when I drained it 500 miles later (home from the trip) there was definatly water in it. It has slipped since then.

Well the mechanic diagnoised it as the TPS and replaced. Transmission seems to be working fine again. Guess somehow the water also took out my front O2 sensor as well.

90Pioneer said:
Well the mechanic diagnoised it as the TPS and replaced. Transmission seems to be working fine again. Guess somehow the water also took out my front O2 sensor as well.

Wow I'm really surprised the TPS would cause a slipping feeling. I guess I don't know how they work on 91+ units though since mine is a RENIX. Glad everything is workin good for ya again though man.

Back