• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chirping with heater

WVXJ

NAXJA Forum User
whenever i turn my heater on it sounds like there is a cricket or something trapped in my defroster vents. Does anyone know what is causing such a noise. It's almost like a squealing belt or something but more like a chirp or tweet. I tried searching, but to no avail. sometimes it will go away if i change the speed of the fan, but usually comes back even then. Usually always on the low setting i get the "chirp". Also, while I'm at it, the jeep is making the clicking noise when turning, like when cv joints are going bad but, the xj doesn't have cv joints, does it? What would be going bad and causing this noise then? any help is greatly appreciated in advance. (96' 4.0/242/aw4

It's probably the blower motor housing dying. On the '96 it's not a bad job to replace, but you will have to remove the windshield washer bottle to access the three bolts holding the blower in place. Did mine last winter for the exact same reason.

You don't have CV joints in the XJ, but there are u-joints in the front axle that wear and need replacement.

x2 on the blower motor dying.

I don't know your setup, but I replaced one in my blazer without removing anything...with the help of a flexible-shaft screwdriver, dunno what you actually call them, but a female coworker of mine had one in her kit.

The blower motor is making the noise. There is no way to fix the motor just buy a new one and install like prev. stated. Its the bearing in the fan motor causing the nosie.

Back