• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running two different tires.

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I got two Goodyear MT/Rs for dirt cheap (30x9.5's)

I was going to get two more MT/Rs, but walmart is the cheapest at $138 and they are out of stock now.

I found TSL Radials with cheap shipping for $122, theyre 30x10.5s

The actual size measurements are only .2" off (MT/Rs being bigger - but are slightly worn)

I was thinking of getting them and running them in the rear, the extra width would be nice, and I would imagine the TSL's having better traction.

My truck is a DD, but I think they would be fine. What do people get for mileage with them compared to MT/R? Is it worth me doing this? Should I just wait for MT/Rs?

those tsl's will sound great goin down the highway. It should work fine, though they will wear differently. But i see a difference of 16 bucks, is it really that tight?

It isnt the money, its wheter or not I should go for them.

My truck is my DD, the trails around here are trails that I dont *need* a TSL, but why stop at "enough"

I just dont want to be dissapointed in the TSLs compared to the MT/Rs in a daily driven truck.

I dont really want a tire thats going to last me 25,000 miles either, id like something that will last long, and the MT/Rs are supposed to do that, ive never ran anything like a TSL before.

This is just my .02

I ran 35x12.50 MT/R's for lets say 2 weeks and they suck on the road.I went back to SS truxs(sp)They are the best on-off-road tire I have found.They worked great on rocks but the minute the road got wet I was all over the place.

Look for a set of truxs(sp)or at least two.
They will last as long as the MT/R's

tsl's are terrible for a daily driver. mt's aren't much better. the bfg is a better tire than both the tsl and the mtr and is cheaper. it would be best to run all 4 the same tread, but if not, run something that is close.

Just get 2 more MTRs at least then you can sell them as a matching set if you like. MTRs work great on the street and wear well too. TSLs will be lucky to see 20k miles.

littlebluexj said:
This is just my .02

I ran 35x12.50 MT/R's for lets say 2 weeks and they suck on the road.I went back to SS truxs(sp)They are the best on-off-road tire I have found.They worked great on rocks but the minute the road got wet I was all over the place.

Look for a set of truxs(sp)or at least two.
They will last as long as the MT/R's
Why do you say the MTRs suck on the street? I have them and love them. Please explain your logic.

Ilive In tulsa And when we get rain I would not slide but drift all over the road and on turns it was like i was running MT slicks on a pro street.

I said that it was my $.02 and that is what it is I went to 35 truxs and had no problems like that with those tires.

I now run 33" BFG MT's and I also love these tires except and wet rocks.

MT/R's are great for rocks but they have stiff walls.I like soft tires and SS has that I am running A set of 31 truxs on my Girlfriends 99xj and they are my first set 2 years old they have been on a welded rear end in mine for a year just rotated alot and they still have around 50% tread.If you want a good rock tire go with the MT/R if you want a trail tire that cleans out well get A MT with large separated lugs.

my $.04 now

I run worn 33" X-Terrains on the back of my XJ and almost brand new 33" Mud Kings and have zero issues on or offroad.

littlebluexj said:
Ilive In tulsa And when we get rain I would not slide but drift all over the road and on turns it was like i was running MT slicks on a pro street.

How hard are you into the pedal and what kind of pressure where you running? It rains like hell up here and I've yet to find myself spinning/sliding/drifting in it.

ECKSJAY said:
How hard are you into the pedal and what kind of pressure where you running? It rains like hell up here and I've yet to find myself spinning/sliding/drifting in it.

X2, I run 235-75/15 BFGoodrich Radial M/T at 28-30 PSI and I cant even get it sideways in almost any corner. Giving it a ton of gas is another story.

littlebluexj said:

I said that it was my $.02 and that is what it is I went to 35 truxs and had no problems like that with those tires.

I now run 33" BFG MT's and I also love these tires except and wet rocks.

MT/R's are great for rocks but they have stiff walls.I like soft tires and SS has that I am running A set of 31 truxs on my Girlfriends 99xj and they are my first set 2 years old they have been on a welded rear end in mine for a year just rotated alot and they still have around 50% tread.If you want a good rock tire go with the MT/R if you want a trail tire that cleans out well get A MT with large separated lugs.

my $.04 now

:wierd:

I have had 2 sets of MTR's and my brother has a set also, I thought they did really well in the rain ... I run 75mph with it pouring the rain and no problems ... The only problem I have found is that the real sloppy mud they suck. If I had a lot of hp that might be different. In the rocks they are awsome

Yeah, I don't know what you guys are doing. I'm running cheapo Retreads in 31x10.50 on my XJ and they don't even let go in the rain.

summitlt said:
I got two Goodyear MT/Rs for dirt cheap (30x9.5's)

I was going to get two more MT/Rs, but walmart is the cheapest at $138 and they are out of stock now.

I found TSL Radials with cheap shipping for $122, theyre 30x10.5s

The actual size measurements are only .2" off (MT/Rs being bigger - but are slightly worn)

I was thinking of getting them and running them in the rear, the extra width would be nice, and I would imagine the TSL's having better traction.

My truck is a DD, but I think they would be fine. What do people get for mileage with them compared to MT/R? Is it worth me doing this? Should I just wait for MT/Rs?

Those TSL's will wear out alot faster than the MT/R's. I'd buy two more mt/r's and run.

I don't have a hevy foot because of gas prices and on a no job budget but it only slid when I had to run on the far right lane and hit small puddles they would slip one way or the other no certain direction.I have A welded rear end like I said.IN the corners I cant give it any gas in the rain till Im alost out of the turn but the minute I give it gas Im sideways.

I ran the recomended pressure I think it was 30 psi.MT/R's were the best rock tire I have ever owned.but I run all most all trails.(im not a big fan of rocks because I always don't make it home on a rock run)

Please remember that I did enjoy the MT/R's on the rocks but not anywere else.Its just my oppion.he asked for it and i gave it.done protecting my oppion.

Does this forum have spell check?

lol.gif

Just messin with ya.

Back