• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Truss

88XJScott

NAXJA Forum User
I have heard from many people that rear waggy axles like to bend, so I decided to take action before this happens.

It ain't nothin to complicated, but I couldn't find any info/pics on an axle truss, so I'm postin this up for anyone who might want to do this later.

I started with a bunch of 2"x2"x.125" box tubing that I had laying around. Made some cuts, did some welding, then some grinding, then some BLING!

truss001.jpg

truss002.jpg

The fish mouths... (aka notching)

truss003.jpg

This is where it will sit...

truss004.jpg

Final pics after welding and painting to come...

y did you grind all the welds off?

looks nice tho, i woulda brought it up a hair higher, and welded some mounts for links on :)

ya i would have put some link mounts lol. im planning on doing this when i swap my waggy axles and running leafs in front and link in rear i dont have a gastank in the way so i can put all bars and links i want back there

Yeah links are in the future. I just spent a whole bunch of money on building the front suspension and the axles, so the wallet is taking a break and I am taking some time to wheel it. 2.5" Air shocks, double triangulated four link is the way I'm going to go.

I grinded all the welds (except for the bottom ones) off mainly for the bling factor. I dont think I compramised very much strength because all of those welds had plenty of pentration.

Looks a little uneven sorta sloped to one side. but I don't know about grinding the welds down that does create aweak spot. I wouldn't be worried so much about your bling. I would focus your attention to strength and function.

The whole axle is sloping to the right in that picture, so that makes it look uneven. When I turn this into link mounts, I will be welding plate steel over the joint for some extra strength. I guess I'll just have to see how it holds up.

ROCKREADYXJ said:
I don't know about grinding the welds down that does create aweak spot

Respectfully disagree.

I think it looks great and will work great.

Finished Product...

truss005.jpg

The paint job is only the first coat, but oh well...

truss006.jpg

I think it added a lot of strength to the axle and only weighs about 10 lbs. Which is unsprung weight too...

truss007.jpg

Back