• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durability of Stock XJ crossbars?

LoneRanger

NAXJA Forum User
Just currious how durable the stock XJ crossbars on the stock roof rack are. I have a few longboards I would like to strap on the rack but I dont know if it is that durable, or can withstand the wind loads on the rack with a couple of 9ft+ surfboards on it while going 65mph.

L.R.

I've never tried long trips at high speed so I can't say how strong the bars are. I have carried plywood around town and once used a Thule cargo box on a slow road (45 mph speed limit). I was checking the Yakima catalog recently and noted that they don't recommend using the XJ factory rack rails for attaching load bars or cargo boxes. They recommend the rain gutter mounts. I lucked into a set of Yakima mounts/bars at the REI garage sale last Saturday for less than half price, so I'm good to go now. I think I would recommend the same setup for your application. Some good prices on Ebay, but still more than I paid.

Spudboy

I've had my 9'2 on the crossrails up to about 85 mph for two hours. I had no problems but make sure you strap them down really well.

Longest material you'll want to put up there is 10'.
My rack broke from the weight of this...
roof.jpg

roofrack.jpg

I've since gotten rid of the stock roofrack and install Thule gutter mount crossbars when I need to haul 2X4s, etc.

I think Its more of the gutter mounts coming undone, I'v had my 32' tire on 15x8 rim up on there no problems...their made of some kind of metal material then coated in the black rough material...I'd say Just make sure their tight and drive slow and keep an eye on them....

I drove 800 miles round trip mostly at highway speeds with 2 flat water paddling boats on my factory rack. The boats were a Liquid Logic Sylva 14.5' 60lbs and a perception Carolina 16' 64lbs. Now given I had them tied down side to side very well with ratchet straps and tied down front and back again very well. Protected the hulls with those foam blocks that wrap around your factory bars you can find just about anywhere. The cross bars were definitely warping under the weight and pressure of the boats but I kept an eye on them them at every stop and never had a problem.

The situation was definitely NOT ideal but it did work. After that I swore to never use my factory rack like that again as it really was just asking for trouble.

Not the best pic, but this is before I tied down the front as well.
boats.JPG

I have used and abused mine on my 90. I went to the Junk yard and picked up a couple of extras. They screw down and can be used in place of the round loops used that year and I think the year before. The manual says not to exceed 200 pound over the entire rack.

well, weight isnt a huge concern, even my 10 foot longboard will weigh under 30 pounds. I was more concerned with the wind loading and thinking of them comming off the jeep somehow.

mabey I'll have to just give it a try!

L.R.

A 10 foot longboard should be fine but don't push it.

You might be able to find someone to give you a couple more cross bars and run four of them. That would not be ideal but would definitly provide a tad more strength and support.

The crossbars seem to be pretty strong but the chessy plastic interface with the uprights are crap. I've carried my mountain bikes up there for years with no problems up to about 80 mph. Except for the time I tried to drive into the garage with the bike on the roof. Ripped the rack right out of the roof but didn't hurt the bike. Guess what I'm saying is that the roof rack isn't very strong.

shortxjdoug said:
yakima's are strong in stock mount:)
j-wagon.jpg

Definitly purple hair ;)

The Yakima Load bars are VERY strong. With two in place, they can handle 165lbs of weight. Add a couple of more you could theoretically get more weight up there BUT the XJ rain gutters SUCK ASS! Mine broke off within 3 months of having a basket (Yakima Load Warrier with an extension and three load bars).

I would suggest (all day long) to use the factory rails with aftermarket cross bars (Yakima, Thule, etc.) The riv-serts are strong as hell and should hold up to the 165lbs with zero issue (assuming the load has been distributed properly).

I had a basket attached to my factory rack with a tool box and water jug in it. The nutserts let go when I got a bit of airtime. Lost the whole thing, rails and all onto the trail.

The nutserts are not as strong as you would think, they are just rubber after all.

Now I have a Thule rack attached to the rain gutters. I put a screw thru each leg and into the rail as when on the trail banches would grab the rack and cause it to slide back along the rails. Now the screws keep it from sliding. I have since "leaned" fairly hard on it and its been good. Also have my 33" spare on it and its held up fine. Although I try VERY hard to avoid getting air time(too hard on the rear main leafs).

We carry a 16'canoe (mad river teton) 75-80lbs on our 93'w/stock crossbars with no problems so far. I run 70-75mph out on the highway.
Our last trip to Outer Banks NC we had to evacuate due to hurricane Ophelia. Driveing home with tropical storm force crosswinds was'nt how we wanted to end our vacation.

Jason

I used to haul 4 recreational kayaks in a custom rack assembly on my XJ, but I never trusted the stock bars alone to tie them down. I drilled holes in the corners of the roof where there was overlapping sheet metal and put in stainless steel eye bolts. Between tyeing them to the stock rack and the four bolts, they never went anywhere. They held up to highway driving (with all four I didnt push it past 75 mph) and even stong crosswinds.

Back