• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle stress: Is It the wdigh of thevird/ri #colbo,`r the blrcumfe"`nce of the tir$

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
Axle stress: Is It the weight of the tire/rim combo, or the circumference of the tire

Basically my question is, is axle stress caused by the weight of the tire and rim on the axle's or is It the circumference of the tire going around that causes the stress? Im basically wondering because for the past 6 months I'v been riding on Super Swamper LTB's that are 33x13.50 on a 15x10 rockcrawler wheels. I havent noticed any problem although I'm sure the combo is pretty heavy. Do you think there would even be a difference in stress If I switched to a lighter tire like a GY MTR or BFG MT 35x12.50 on a 15x8 rockcrawler wheel? I havent swapped out axles yet, still running the 30 and 8.25 (29 spline). 3.55's and the fronts detroit locked. I dunno never weighted the two seperate tires before but I gota believe what I have now would be Just as heavy as a 35 12.50 MTR on a 15x8 rim? Thoughts?

Re: Axle stress: Is It the weight of the tire/rim combo, or the circumference of the tire

What your sayin is pretty broad man, but to be a sport I gave It a shot and nothing but leverage in means of banking terms come up so you might want to be more specific. I also checked the dictionary for some brownie points and Its simply describing having and edge to competion.

Re: Axle stress: Is It the weight of the tire/rim combo, or the circumference of the tire

I'm really tryin to consider what you said leverage, why I dont see exactly what you mean Im thinking of related words and how you could have possibly meant It...heres what I have as my new theory....

It's the fact that the taller the tires are, the more room between the ground and axle tubes...which means more force (from the weight of vehicle and suspension) is being pushed Into the center of the axle...kinda like by the taller the tires get the more room between the ground and axle tubes which puts more force on them since they are higher from their oringinal amount? Am I kinda on the right track with this one?

Re: Axle stress: Is It the weight of the tire/rim combo, or the circumference of the

Both.

Not only the weight of the tyre carcass (the body, including tread surface and fibre plies) is at issue, but also the diameter of the tyre - or the lever arm (might be better to Google "lever arm" than "leverage," I think the world is missing its focus) through which the weight/force/intertia acts is something to be considered.

Think of this - you've got a weight of a pound, on the end of a one-foot lever (arm.) This will result in a torque (turning force) of one pount-foot.

Take the lever arm, and make it twice as long (two feet.) Now, you will have a torque of two pound-feet.

This progression will hold through as long as you care to make your lever arm. This is why we use "cheater bars" on really tight bolts and nuts, and why torque wrenches with larger torque values are longer - so you can make higher torque with much the same effort on your part.

Try running these through Google, and see what you get:
"Lever Arm"
"Rotational Moment of Inertia"
"Torque (Arm)"

Applying physics term to finances is one thing, but when they come up as primary search results, I think it's time to update our lexicon...

5-90

wow I never knew tire size was so deep....I :worship: you who understand the equations and such Im looking at, Im a 3rd year college student and after researching all the terms you gave I was even more boggled, I never was good at math or physics, I guess Im glad Im studying Criminal Justice

Re: Axle stress: Is It the weight of the tire/rim combo, or the circumference of the

That, my good man, is why I'm in engineering. I'm just working on the practical background first (although why they can't just count experience boggles me - I waited until I was 30 before I went back to school. I'm a triple major now, and I'll be transferring into MET when I'm done with these three...)

5-90

Back