• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 swap/Parts needed

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I am swapping my Dana 35 for a Dana 44 soon. My XJ is a 88 and the new one is from an 89 XJ. Is there any parts I need besides U-bolts. Is the driveshaft the same length ? Just trying to get all the parts I need prior to install. Did search, but none have list of needed parts.
Thanks

Your driveshaft don't need modifications.
The only thing to consider is that the pinion in the dana44 is about an inch longer than the one in the dana35.
Diego.

I have about that much extra pulled out of the Trans case after my lift. I have added 2 inches of bump stop so I assume that will prevent snapping the end off.
Am I right ? ? ?

Fresh U-Bolts would be a good idea. Got mine from the local drivetrain shop. The retainer plates from the D35 will fit just find if you didn't scavenge them with the D44.

3XJFamily said:
Fresh U-Bolts would be a good idea. Got mine from the local drivetrain shop. The retainer plates from the D35 will fit just find if you didn't scavenge them with the D44.
I have brand new u-bolts already. I know the tube diameter is close on both axles, but will the 35 U-bolts work for the 44 ? ? ? ? :sunshine:

boise49ers said:
I have brand new u-bolts already. I know the tube diameter is close on both axles, but will the 35 U-bolts work for the 44 ? ? ? ? :sunshine:

Nope. If they fit the D35 correctly, they won't go around the tube on the D44 - at least that was my experience. . .

boise49ers said:
I have about that much extra pulled out of the Trans case after my lift. I have added 2 inches of bump stop so I assume that will prevent snapping the end off.
Am I right ? ? ?
what do you mean snapping the end off? the end off of what? im asking because im swapping a 44 from an 88 xj into a 93 xj. is there some problem with this? i thought it was a bolt-in swap.

he is talking about jamming the driveshaft into the tcase(I ass-ume) if the driveshaft were too long, which is sounds like it shouldn't be but would be smart to check. U-bolts are not "supposed" to be re-used as they stretch, many people(including myself) sometimes re-use them, if they have to. They are pretty cheap and easy to get.....usually, unless you need them really bad:) The turdy five ubolts won't fit the d44.
Chris

Skullvarian said:
he is talking about jamming the driveshaft into the tcase(I ass-ume) if the driveshaft were too long, which is sounds like it shouldn't be but would be smart to check. U-bolts are not "supposed" to be re-used as they stretch, many people(including myself) sometimes re-use them, if they have to. They are pretty cheap and easy to get.....usually, unless you need them really bad:) The turdy five ubolts won't fit the d44.
Chris

x2... hypothetically ubolt should be used twice... after they are tightened they stretch every so slightly and shouldn't be put back on when loosened... I reused mine several times... now that I'm swapping in a 44 for my 8.25, I will be purchasing new ones however

I have just finished mine on an 88 also, but i have no lift, yet...
I don't have part numbers sorry, just hit your trusted auto parts stores ahead of time.
You will need U-bolts, i picked mine up from NAPA, had to order them in took 3 days is all, you might want to check on this before you start.
The Plates off my 35C went on the 44, it was tight but they worked, be careful of the threads, but they should be no problem.
The drive shafts are not the same length, the 35C is a bit longer, i heard 5/8 some say up to 3/4 of an inch. I had to go get a 8.25 driveshaft, but i have no lift as i stated, when i did research on this forum i found many posts conferming that even a small lift was good enough to clear the extra length, i think you'll be fine. I thought mine was okay, it wasn't mine ended up rubbing the rubber ring on the T-case seal and when i went to tow a small trailer (1300 lbs) it tore it off, probably lucky i didn't do worse. Again i had no lift, stressing just check this.
Get a new pair of U-joint straps for the 44, just replace them now while your under there. Or if you feel up to it search and find the tech on drilling the 44 yoke out and go to the u-bolts for the yoke.
The 44 has a different axle vent than the 35C, but it's no big deal just a relocation, make sure the 44 has the nipple on it when you snag the axle or your going to have to go get a replacement.
Your brake cables and all the rest of your hardware should work flawlessly.
That all the tips i have for now, it was a fairly straightforward swap just because the axle came directly from another XJ which makes this an easy improvement.

Andy

You will need a shorter driveshaft from a XJ with a D44 or a 8.25 ( same pinon length ) regardless of lift. The only time you can run the longer D35 shaft is when you have dropped the bumpstops as you will run out of driveshaft travel under full compression otherwise. All lifts will still fully compress to the same point unless the bumpstops have been lowered.

Back