• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Hinge and Track Bar Fix with pix

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep is just getting where I want it to be in the way of capability, but along the way, I have had several small things pop up. My drivers door was nearly falling off with every swing, and everytime I turned the steering, the Jeep had more pops and bangs than a pan of Jiffy Pop.

I took the info from a "Jeepin Jason" post and fixed my lower track bar mount today, and I stitch welded the upper mount to the unibody. No more pops!

My upper door hinge was toast. About 3 more days and it would have really fallen off. I tried the GoJeep fix, but my hinge problem was pretty advanced. It didn't go all that well. The thin metal had gotten so mangled that it was tough getting the hinge back in the exact same spot. Besides that, welded hinges offer little adjustment. The result was hinge that will never fail again... but slightly off position. No amount of shims could help, as the door is just too far back. With a door hinge bender (the name of the tool I swear) We got the door into position enough that it will close. It just takes a good slam. Not too bad considering It was about to fall off before I began.

If your top hinge weld is cracking, don't wait. Fix it NOW!! If it's bad already... don't try to eye it. You may have to do some creative hammering to get the hinge back in the exact place before you weld.

Thanks Jeepin Jason and GoJeep for the posts on the repairs.

My new not so groovy door gap
DSC00487.JPG

My Door Hinge booger job
DSC00488.JPG

My lower track bar hole fix (bad welds and all)
DSC00490.JPG

another way of fixin the hinge is what i did. i took the whole fender and door off, then gound off the old welds, or what was left. i re=positioned the hindge and added 1/2" angle iron all around it and let me tell you, WOW. i can put all my wieght (around 215 lbs) on the end of that 2dt and she dont even move. it takes much longer to do it this way, but i feel much safer and dont have to worry bout the doot vibrating while im goin 70 on the highway like before.

Back