• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! NO START obd codes: 11, 12, 43

redXJay

NAXJA Forum User
OK, over the last two weeks starting has been getting harder and harder. it would only sart if i let it turn over for 3 or 4 seconds then try it again and it would fire to life after a 2 seconds. i noticed it would miss sometimes and cough and sputter.

now it does not start at all. i notice some sparks jumping on a spark plug wire near the distributer cap and on the same wire there is a spark jumping out the boot area on the distributer cap.

I have a MSD off-road ignition, ss coil, 8.5 msd wires, Direct Hits resistorless plugs. Hope the problems are not from my attempt at getting better MPG.

OBD CODES are: 12, 11, 43, 43 (yes it flashes 43 twice)

11. No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking. Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. CKP sensor target windows have too much variation.

12. Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 Key-on cycles.

43. Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time. Misfire detected in one or more cylinders 1 thru 6. (4 and 6 cyls.)

i'm a little lost. i have little real world dianostic experiance.

injection problems?
ingnition problems?
camshaft or crankshaft position sensor?

well, i got it going after i unpluged the cps and pluged it back in then cranked it over for 10 seconds and it sounded like crap but finally got going and smoothed out.

anyone?

i guess i was reading the wrong OBD LIST

CORRECTED LIST

P0011: A Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1))

P0012: A Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

P0043: 02 Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 3)
Shorted condition detected in the oxygen sensor heater element control feedback sense circuit.

can 11, or 12 be interpeted at bad CPS

your right. much better now. i think it still takes to long to fire up. cold start takes 3 or 4 seconds. where as hot start it will fire right up

well i've replaced the cps and the upstream o2 sensor on the down tube and i disconnected the battery for a while and it is still starting like crap when its cold or sat for at least 30 min.

I still get code: 43

which i believe is:
P0043: 02 Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 3)
Shorted condition detected in the oxygen sensor heater element control feedback sense circuit.

what exactly does that mean?

hey redxjay , what year vehicle is this ?

you are talking about turning the key 3 times and watching the check engine light ?

po xxxx codes were implemented in 1996 with obd2 ,read with a scantool.
so the flash codes you are getting are based on the obd1 system (pre 96')

also the non resistor plugs can be a problem on any computer vehicle ,
not recommended because of the "e m" field they can create .
same for solid wire core plug wires .

if you saw spark jumping from the cap or wires ,you might have a bad cap
or rotor or both . and would screw with the cam sensor in the distributor .

Back