• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission slipping

ebxjbob

NAXJA Forum User
i've searched this a little, havn't found a clear answer. first off 96 4.0 auto. got at 162,000 so no idea if the tranny has ever been flushed or had any type of service. All signs point to highway mileage, which is almost at 170,000. Shifts fine, very good even, 98% of the time. Latley when passing on 2 lane roads or on the highway when I put the pedal to the floor it will kick down fine but then once it speeds up it will slip going back into the higer gear, if I give it part throttle it will again kick down fine(but not to as low of a gear so not as high of an RPM) but it goes back into the higher gear fine. Sorry for the long post. I've always thought it was bad to change fluid in a high mileage tranny w/o knowing if its been done before so... I realize its getting old but is there any additives that may work or would changing the fluid maybe help?? or could it be something else, any ideas appriciated, again sorry for the length

SeaFoam TransTune is real good.
seafoamlogos.jpg

start by changing the fluid. you can also think about cleaning the filter. it is just a big mesh screen so you can clean it with carb cleaner or buy a new gasket and filter for under $40

Back