• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble With 2" BB

Russ Pottenger

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed a Rustys 2" BB lift on my 88 XJ. It went into a Death Wobble (not fun) at about 45 mph. Ujoints are fine, and obviously had no prior problems. The only thing I can think of is I may need to upgrade to a SYE. With my XJ being a pre 96 and just a 2" lift Im surprised. Tryed doing the search thing and no help. Thanks for any input guys. Russ

^ what he said ^

alignment alignment alignment........

No I did not. I Will try that next. So I can have a better understanding. How will the alignment stop the vibration characteristics?

You want to fix death wobble with an SYE?

That's novel.......

pottenger said:
No I did not. I Will try that next. So I can have a better understanding. How will the alignment stop the vibration characteristics?

DW and shimmy are encouraged by too much toe-in. Lift increases the toe-in with the inverted-Y steering system in an XJ. At a minimum, the toe-in needs to be adjusted after a lift is installed.

The drag of toe-in pulls the tires back and takes the slop out of any loose bushings or jointed connections (why we add toe-in, to keep the wheels straight under normal driving conditions, even with normal bushing & joint clearances). Excessive toe-in pulls more on the steering and knuckles, and the additional force can expose previously unknown excessive bushing clearances or slop.

Usually DW starts with a bump, and then accelerates through movement in the loose bushings (you will know if it's true DW).

Unbalanced tires are almost always found as part of the problem.
A loose track bar bushing/bolt at the axle is common major contributor (as is the frame end tie rod end or frame bracket, and the pittman arm tie rod end).
A loose shock bolt can exhibit shimmy (the verge of DW), as can almost any of the joints and bushings that make up the XJ front suspension.

The solution is alignment (starting with toe-in), find and correct the loose component, and then realignment (toe-in and caster) to determine the least amount of toe-in and the most caster (within reason: 0" to 1/8", and 2-8 degrees respectively) to provide the quality driving experience where you are most comfortable. More toe-in and more caster tend to allow the XJ to track straighter with less effort (they add self-centering force on the suspension), but these increased forces also tend to exploit any excuse to promote shimmy and death wobble (if you have a loose component it is more likely to cause a problem with more toe and caster).

HTH?

Thanks Ed & others. That helps a bunch. New with the Jeep stuff. I Get stupid when I get past the Flywheel.

Ed A. Stevens said:
DW and shimmy are encouraged by too much toe-in. Lift increases the toe-in with the inverted-Y steering system in an XJ. At a minimum, the toe-in needs to be adjusted after a lift is installed.

The drag of toe-in pulls the tires back and takes the slop out of any loose bushings or jointed connections (why we add toe-in, to keep the wheels straight under normal driving conditions, even with normal bushing & joint clearances). Excessive toe-in pulls more on the steering and knuckles, and the additional force can expose previously unknown excessive bushing clearances or slop.

Usually DW starts with a bump, and then accelerates through movement in the loose bushings (you will know if it's true DW).

Unbalanced tires are almost always found as part of the problem.
A loose track bar bushing/bolt at the axle is common major contributor (as is the frame end tie rod end or frame bracket, and the pittman arm tie rod end).
A loose shock bolt can exhibit shimmy (the verge of DW), as can almost any of the joints and bushings that make up the XJ front suspension.

The solution is alignment (starting with toe-in), find and correct the loose component, and then realignment (toe-in and caster) to determine the least amount of toe-in and the most caster (within reason: 0" to 1/8", and 2-8 degrees respectively) to provide the quality driving experience where you are most comfortable. More toe-in and more caster tend to allow the XJ to track straighter with less effort (they add self-centering force on the suspension), but these increased forces also tend to exploit any excuse to promote shimmy and death wobble (if you have a loose component it is more likely to cause a problem with more toe and caster).

HTH?

Ditto everything he just said...

Id start with checking your toe....that was the cause of my DW after my lift.

Back