• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to remove stock track bar?

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and couldn't find anything on this, I unbolted everything, (I think) and it just doesn't want to come out of the upper mount, it seems that after I took the nut off it should just slide out, but its not, I tryed prying it out and bent the bar! Im out of ideas, what do you guys think?

you can rent a tool that will pop it out i had major issued with mine i actually bent 2 c-clamps to get it out its gonna be a bitch

you can remove the 4 bolts that bolt the bracket to the frame rail and then work it on a bench. it is a tapered ball joint that just needs to be beat to get it out.

If you've got the cotter pin and castle nut off the top, you're 90% of the way there. It's a tapered fit, a tie rod end.

Use a pickle fork.

get a pickle fork between the end of the tie rod and under the castle nut, then beat it with a hammer. Pickle forks can be found at most auto stores or sears or wherever. beat it and beat it and beat it and it'll come out.

ckh550 said:
get a pickle fork between the end of the tie rod and under the castle nut, then beat it with a hammer. Pickle forks can be found at most auto stores or sears or wherever. beat it and beat it and beat it and it'll come out.
x2 mine cost $6 @ Auto Zone.

Not to hijack the thread...So you don't need to take off the upper-bracket to replace the track bar? I need to replace mine and had a look a couple of days ago and it seems tight getting at that nut that's buried in there. I thought the best way would be to take off the whole upper-bracket?

^^ I have replaced 2 XJ track bars, and never removed the top bracket. But I dont bother trying to take off the nut, i torched both of mine off. Easiest way I could think of....

Johnny V said:
Not to hijack the thread...So you don't need to take off the upper-bracket to replace the track bar? I need to replace mine and had a look a couple of days ago and it seems tight getting at that nut that's buried in there. I thought the best way would be to take off the whole upper-bracket?

It's tight, but you can get the top nut off without taking the bracket off. It helps if you've got a fine tooth ratchet.

I took mine off by puting a crow bar against one side of the bracket and hitting the other side of the bracket with a larger than normal hammer. I had the coil spring out which made it easier. I had to hit it fairly hard.

I have tried to remove my swaybar adn am having lots on problems on the passenger side where it attaches to the axle. How does that tab work? How go I get this damn bolt out? Once I get my new track bar I would rather not reuse the old bolt and nut, where can I get a new one?

I put a large socket between the track bar and the frame (can't remember exactly what I was wedging against) and then put a floor jack under the axle end of the track bar (that was already disconnected). Put a bit of oomph on the floor jack, then hit the bar with a hammer, the vibrations knocked the taper joint right apart. (the nut on top of the taper pin was already out when I started). That was the last jeep, this one I left the OEM bar in as it had been recently replaced when I redid the rest of the front suspension.

Mark

Back