• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle not driving!!!

Superhonky74

NAXJA Forum User
I just went four wheeling this last Sat. and had serious problems. My front axle acted like it wasn't engaging. The transfer case locked in fine but when I would go up steep inclines or had to traverse in severe articulation; the front tires felt like they were not pulling. No front tire spin or anything. What might be wrong????

Superhonky74 said:
I just went four wheeling this last Sat. and had serious problems. My front axle acted like it wasn't engaging. The transfer case locked in fine but when I would go up steep inclines or had to traverse in severe articulation; the front tires felt like they were not pulling. No front tire spin or anything. What might be wrong????
OK, questions:
1. what year jeep?
2. is front axle disconnect or non disconnect version?
3. what transfer case?
4. is the front driveshaft installed ;) ?
5. did it behave same in 4H and 4L?

It's an 87 XJ , 9" L/A with 35's, D30 with disconnect, yes the half shaft is conected and I beleive it does it in both 4 hi and 4 low. I mainly used 4 low when I was wheeling. Oh yeah. I have the NP231.

Last edited:
Superhonky74 said:
It's an 87 XJ , 9" L/A with 35's, D30 with disconnect, yes the half shaft is conected and I beleive it does it in both 4 hi and 4 low. I mainly used 4 low when I was wheeling.
OK, check to make sure that you have vacuum and that no vacuum lines are busted.

Remi

There are three lines going into the actuator valve. Which one should have the vacuum or are all three suppose to have vacuum? When I lifted the jeep, I had to use regular vacuum line in exchange of the harness. I don't no if I crossed a line or not?

Superhonky74 said:
There are three lines going into the actuator valve. Which one should have the vacuum or are all three suppose to have vacuum? When I lifted the jeep, I had to use regular vacuum line in exchange of the harness. I don't no if I crossed a line or not?
I know there was a recent post that showed the diagram, this is best I could find for the moment. But if you play around with the search button you should be able to find that diagram.
here's more: http://www.rightcoastcrawler.com/billaVista/2low/VAC_DIAGRAM.JPG
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5035&highlight=disconnect+diagram

Back