• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pressing bearings onto 44 shafts??

WTF

NAXJA Forum User
So, maybe I'm retarded, but I can't for the life of me find a writeup on pressing bearings on a semi floater rear 44 axle. It's an XJ 44 specifically.

The new alloy shafts are stepped where the races should stop, and I have a spare factory shaft that is setup already to use as a reference.

So my question is this:
Am I over thinking this or it it really as simple as putting on the backing plate and then pressing on the seal, spacer, bearing on the correct order essentially until each piece bottoms out on the other after the outermost piece hits the step?

Excellent, Thanks!

Edit: Except for the whole using a sledge hammer and piece of pipe while wearing sandals part... :rolleyes:

But the basic principles still apply.

edit again:
On second thought given those factors, does anybody else have a write up with a little more credibility???

Last edited:
You're overthinking it a little, it's pretty simple - seal and retainer dangles free, bearing goes all the way down to the lip, press-on donut goes down tight against the bearing.

I used a 12 ton arbor press. No pics, but I was wearing sandals.

XJack said:
... No pics, but I was wearing sandals.

I think with a press sandals might be a little safer. Still less than ideal shop footwear, but you'd probably retain all your digits....

Ditto. The bearing bottoms. Get the stuff on in the correct order and press it down.

Make sure to press the bearing down before putting on the retaining collar.

I strongly suggest you use a press....the shock from hammering can lead to premature failure. A machine shop will only charge you a few bux if the parts are all prepped and readyt to assemble.

MudDawg said:
I strongly suggest you use a press....the shock from hammering can lead to premature failure. A machine shop will only charge you a few bux if the parts are all prepped and readyt to assemble.
x2 on the press and a shop. Better yet, make friends with local jeepers and someone might have a press or access to one and then it's btyb (bring them your beer) event :D

MudDawg said:
A machine shop will only charge you a few bux if the parts are all prepped and readyt to assemble.

That's what I did, the guy put all the parts on the shaft and he pressed the retainer that also pressed the bearing. One stroke, both pressed.

Hammering the bearings on will not hurt the bearings if you hammer against the inner race. Believe it or not you don't need to hit them that hard to get them seated. Just make sure what your using to seat the bearing only hits on the race with the press fit.

I never press them on, I just heat them untill they are about 600f and drop them on. Pressing them on is fine if you have a press, driving them on you should use a little heat anyway.
Many Napa stores will press them on also.

Lincoln said:
Hammering the bearings on will not hurt the bearings if you hammer against the inner race. Believe it or not you don't need to hit them that hard to get them seated. Just make sure what your using to seat the bearing only hits on the race with the press fit.

x2 This has always worked for me with no problems.

Back